Question 1440p or 144hz for a rx 6700 xt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hi,

My current specs are:
RX 6700 XT 12gb
i5-12400f
32gb 3200

Current display is a 24 inch aoc running at 75hz.

Im thinking of upgrading my display. I found this monitor as a potential upgrade:

AOC Q27G2U/BK Quad HD 27" VA Gaming Monitor

Im wondering, is it wise to go for both 144hz and 1440p. The RX 6700 XT is great and I dont play the newest titles exactly though that could change now of course. If say I cranked demanding games up to 1440p and it struggled a bit could I set the fps to cap at like 60 or 75?

Im a bit confused if running at that lower of fps on a 144hz screen, would it look off? is that how it works?

The monitor has freesync premium built in. Im not sure I understand how that works either. Would that solve any screen tearing if a game struggles to run at the native 144hz ?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

My current specs are:
RX 6700 XT 12gb
i5-12400f
32gb 3200

Current display is a 24 inch aoc running at 75hz.

Im thinking of upgrading my display. I found this monitor as a potential upgrade:

AOC Q27G2U/BK Quad HD 27" VA Gaming Monitor

Im wondering, is it wise to go for both 144hz and 1440p. The RX 6700 XT is great and I dont play the newest titles exactly though that could change now of course. If say I cranked demanding games up to 1440p and it struggled a bit could I set the fps to cap at like 60 or 75?

Im a bit confused if running at that lower of fps on a 144hz screen, would it look off? is that how it works?

The monitor has freesync premium built in. Im not sure I understand how that works either. Would that solve any screen tearing if a game struggles to run at the native 144hz ?

Thanks in advance!
What games are you playing? I have a 6700XT and in Borderlands 3 on a 3440x1440 100Hzmonitor before turning on FSR 2.0 I was averaging about 75-80fps on Ultra settings. Now with FSR 2.0 enabled in quality mode, I don't see any difference between native and FSR 2.0, I'm getting a good 100fps. Other games like Red Dead Redemption 2 I'm averaging 80+ fps as well.

The monitor you linked supports FreeSync Premium with a 48-144hz refresh rate. As long as the game doesn't drop below 48hz you will not notice any tearing, etc... FreeSync, like G-Sync, dynamically changes the refresh rate on your monitor to match what the GPU is sending out. This reduces your tearing that can happen when your FPS is too low.

Hey there,

With games getting more demanding the 6700XT is getting bit on the light side for 1440p high FPS. Stellar 1080p high hz. What about the AOCs smaller brother, 24G2U? I have one with a 3060ti, which is similar in performance as the 6700xt. In fact the 6700xt is a little faster in some games, but falls behind with RT.

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
What games are you playing? I have a 6700XT and in Borderlands 3 on a 3440x1440 100Hzmonitor before turning on FSR 2.0 I was averaging about 75-80fps on Ultra settings. Now with FSR 2.0 enabled in quality mode, I don't see any difference between native and FSR 2.0, I'm getting a good 100fps. Other games like Red Dead Redemption 2 I'm averaging 80+ fps as well.

The monitor you linked supports FreeSync Premium with a 48-144hz refresh rate. As long as the game doesn't drop below 48hz you will not notice any tearing, etc... FreeSync, like G-Sync, dynamically changes the refresh rate on your monitor to match what the GPU is sending out. This reduces your tearing that can happen when your FPS is too low.
Hey thanks for responding,

Honestly not much yet. Beam NG latest purchase. Halo Infinite MP, not competitvely just casually. Interested in Deathloop, God of war, Horizon ZD etc.

What is FSR if you dont mind me asking?

Wow thats pretty good about free sync. If a game ran consistently at say like 50 or 60fps, would that look odd on a monitor thats rated at 144hz?

Also with freesync already enabled, do I need to bother with setting the max fps or v sync in games then if its doing a variable refresh rate for me anyway?

Thanks!

Last edited:

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hey there,

With games getting more demanding the 6700XT is getting bit on the light side for 1440p high FPS. Stellar 1080p high hz. What about the AOCs smaller brother, 24G2U? I have one with a 3060ti, which is similar in performance as the 6700xt. In fact the 6700xt is a little faster in some games, but falls behind with RT.
Hi, thanks for responding pal

I guess thats what it boils down to. 1440p versus high refresh rate. I play more singleplayer games and if I do MP its never competitive. 1440p at say 75hz I reckon would be a good match from what I understand, however I wouldnt mind the option of higher fps if I could on some games.

So say some more demanding games would run at like 60/75 fps at 1440p and some of my other games are fine with like 144+ 1440p.

Could I not grab a 1440p 144hz monitor and simply set the max fps to like 60 in the more demanding games whilst keeping it at 1440p? Then likewise on the less demanding games let it go all the way and beyond 144.

Hope that makes sense haha

Hi, thanks for responding pal

I guess thats what it boils down to. 1440p versus high refresh rate. I play more singleplayer games and if I do MP its never competitive. 1440p at say 75hz I reckon would be a good match from what I understand, however I wouldnt mind the option of higher fps if I could on some games.

So say some more demanding games would run at like 60/75 fps at 1440p and some of my other games are fine with like 144+ 1440p.

Could I not grab a 1440p 144hz monitor and simply set the max fps to like 60 in the more demanding games whilst keeping it at 1440p? Then likewise on the less demanding games let it go all the way and beyond 144.

Hope that makes sense haha
:) Yes, it makes sense :)

I hear ya. It is a conundrum. 1440p defo looks better than 1080p,

In terms of the monitor. Yes, you could go with 1440p 144hz. The GPU would be pretty decent at that, but as importantly so would the CPUas the load switches more towards the GPU at resolutions higher than 1080p. So 1440o and upwards,

FSR is AMDs version of DLSS from Nvidia and XeSS from Intel. It's an image upscaling technology. It work by giving a FPS bump, at practically no degrading in FPS over all. Essential when switched on, you get an FPS boost over no FSR.

As mentioned above, both support Freesync (AMD) and will be Gsync compatible (Nvidia). When used eliminates stuttering. up to the HZ of the monitor.

I'm not a competitive gamer, but like my online multi games. I use G-sync and it's as smooth as butter.

Last edited:

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
:) Yes, it makes sense :)

I hear ya. It is a conundrum. 1440p defo looks better than 1080p,

In terms of the monitor. Yes, you could go with 1440p 144hz. The GPU would be pretty decent at that, but as importantly so would the CPUas the load switches more towards the GPU at resolutions higher than 1080p. So 1440o and upwards,

FSR is AMDs version of DLSS from Nvidia and XeSS from Intel. It's an image upscaling technology. It work by giving a FPS bump, at practically no degrading in FPS over all. Essential when switched on, you get an FPS boost over no FSR.

As mentioned above, both support Freesync (AMD) and will be Gsync compatible (Nvidia). When used eliminates stuttering. up to the HZ of the monitor.

I'm not a competitive gamer, but like my online multi games. I use G-sync and it's as smooth as butter.
Thanks for all the info is super helpful!

So running a game at like 60fps or 75fps on a 144hz monitor would be fine?

Is the only downside to getting a higher refresh rate (in my context) is that they tend to be more expensive?

Thanks for all the info is super helpful!

So running a game at like 60fps or 75fps on a 144hz monitor would be fine?

Is the only downside to getting a higher refresh rate (in my context) is that they tend to be more expensive?
With FreeSync enabled the 144hz monitor will be fine with 60-75fps. Remember if you want more FPS you can always run at high settings vs ultra settings. Games that support FSR 2.0, like God of War or Red Dead Redemption 2, makes sense to use it. In quality settings you gain a good 25% performance boost without loss of visual quality. Do note that you might have to enable it in the AMD Radeon Software on a per game basis.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
With FreeSync enabled the 144hz monitor will be fine with 60-75fps. Remember if you want more FPS you can always run at high settings vs ultra settings. Games that support FSR 2.0, like God of War or Red Dead Redemption 2, makes sense to use it. In quality settings you gain a good 25% performance boost without loss of visual quality. Do note that you might have to enable it in the AMD Radeon Software on a per game basis.
Awesome thanks! Think ill go for the 1440p 144hz. Fine with the more demanding titles running at 60fps and also fine with adjusting quality settings if needs be. Cheers for the help :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Status
Not open for further replies.