1440p TN or IPS for gaming?

Zyphercap

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Hi there,

I currently own a 1080p 144hz TN monitor, but with my new GTX 1080 ti graphics card I feel like it's time to buy a better one because 1080p 144hz on a GTX 1080 ti is a bit overkill for most games.

My biggest concern is whether I should get an IPS or TN panel. I've never used anything other than TN so I don't know exactly how much better IPS look, but I heard it's a big upgrade. The only thing I'm worried about here is IPS glow, and the common quality control issues with IPS gaming monitors.

I heard all IPS monitors suffer from a bit of IPS glow, but to what extent is this noticable ingame? I know some games have a lot of dark/indoor/night scenes and I can imagine IPS glow being very annoying there. Is it generally noticable ingame or is it one of those things you only notice when paying special attention to it?

Any other arguments why I would want to buy a TN or IPS panel, apart from price, when used primarily for gaming?

Solution
ips glow/bleed is a random thing like tn panel bleed (or dead pixels) its all a lotto. This is why i still buy in a shop, and have them plug it in at the shop before i leave.

the main point is you do not want a curved ips because its self defeating! ips has greater viewing angles, the curved screens are for tn to 'lessen' edge bleed when you dont sit square. funny how people dont believe this is why they came up with the idea (credit to those pr's/advertisers).

as for picture quality, i cannot comment, the higher refresh rate of tn is better for gaming as it reduces motion blur (though if your eye sight is dodgy it wont matter). ips colour recreation/representation is slightly better though (as a general rule).

so really its...

Hyboria

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
It's hard to confidently say that I notice the difference between IPS and TN - I don't frequently use both so I can't really tell. Given the general reviews it seems apparent that IPS is much better for colour. It's similar to getting a monitor with a fast refresh rate - I don't think I appreciate having 144Hz/IPS, but if I went back to a 60Hz/TN panel I'd notice the difference.

With regards to IPS glow, I hardly notice it. I think partially because my monitor has hardly any glow to begin with, and it's in two spots at the edges of the screen - whereas I'm normally looking at the center.

Not sure if this really helps you make your mind up, but my vote would be for IPS.

NOOB2PRO

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
IPS screens typically have a higher response time than TN panels so that could affect your gaming performance a bit (not graphically though, input lag may be more noticable). TN can be as low as 1ms while IPS can be around 4ms. Other than this, I find IPS better in nearly every single way.

IPS glow / backlight bleed can depend on the screen type but most of the time, you won't notice it unless it's a really dark scene. I have an IPS display on my laptop and it looks great and bright. I pretty much never notice the glow.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
IPS is superior in visual fidelity. It has a number of advantages over TN. The only downside is cost. Apparently IPS panels are less receptive to running at 144Hz and their more complicated to manufacture. If you can afford it, buy a 1440p 144Hz IPS display.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
ips glow/bleed is a random thing like tn panel bleed (or dead pixels) its all a lotto. This is why i still buy in a shop, and have them plug it in at the shop before i leave.

the main point is you do not want a curved ips because its self defeating! ips has greater viewing angles, the curved screens are for tn to 'lessen' edge bleed when you dont sit square. funny how people dont believe this is why they came up with the idea (credit to those pr's/advertisers).

as for picture quality, i cannot comment, the higher refresh rate of tn is better for gaming as it reduces motion blur (though if your eye sight is dodgy it wont matter). ips colour recreation/representation is slightly better though (as a general rule).

so really its dwn to how you want to play ..... possible blur but awesome picture, or no blur and reasonably good picture. (the terms awesome and reasonably good refer to the gap in image recreation and are of my personal view).

to note, there is a hybrid ips/tn technology which is becoming very popular as it combines the fast response time of tn, with the colour recreation of ips = va

va is the happy medium.

Solution