[SOLVED] 1440p VA 144hz vs TN 165hz

Solution
For strictly gaming, the TN/165Hz would probably have a slight edge.
BUT, VA strikes a nice balance (colors etc) between TN and IPS, and would be my recommendation on refresh rate/panel type alone.

Of course, depending on the specific models in question, that might change.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For strictly gaming, the TN/165Hz would probably have a slight edge.
BUT, VA strikes a nice balance (colors etc) between TN and IPS, and would be my recommendation on refresh rate/panel type alone.

Of course, depending on the specific models in question, that might change.

Solution

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Honestly, unless you are going hardcore competitive and have the necessary hardware to push 165fps at 1440p at whatever quality settings necessary to do so, then just get the VA panel.
Because if you are planning to play games at 1440p with some decent eye candy levels of graphic settings, then you won't be getting near 144fps in a lot of AAA titles.

As it is, I game at 1440p with a 6700K @4.6GHz and a 1080 Ti @2050MHz and in games like shadow of the tomb raider and AC Origins, at the a custom mix of high/max settings I get an overall average of 100fps with dips down to low 80s and spikes up to 110-115.

So again. Unless you are trying to go super competitive and are going to sacrifice graphics for higher frames, then you won't be getting close to 165fps and you should get the nicer looking display for colors and stuff.

Hopefully though you are looking at getting an adaptive sync monitor either G-Sync (for nvidia) or FreeSync (for AMD)

Because if not, then you'll need beefy hardware along with more medium settings in graphics to get 144fps or more in order to actually take advantage of the displays refresh rate and not have a bunch of screen tearing.

Because if getting less than 144fps on a 144hz monitor without adaptive sync, in order to get rid of screen tearing you'll have to enable V-Sync which will lock the frame rate to the nearest lower refresh rate value that the monitor supports.

For example, if on a 144hz display you are getting fps around 80, if you enable V-Sync it'll drop down to lock in at 60fps to make it match what the monitor can do in refresh rate.

So to get V-Sync at higher refresh rate, you'll need more than 100fps for 100Hz (Assuming the monitor supports this refresh rate) or more than 120fps for 120hz or ultimately more than 144fps for 144Hz.

That's why people care so much about adaptive sync, since with adaptive sync, the adaptive sync hardware inside the monitor will just make the monitor run at a refresh rate that matches the frame rate the GPU is producing as long as the frame rate is between the lowest and highest values supported by the technology.

In my case on my G-Sync monitor I have, this value range is from 30hz - 144hz.

Some are higher end and go all the way down to 1hz, but those ones are hella expensive.

And with adaptive sync, I get all the benefits of no screen tearing, but with the added bonus of not having hardly any input lag that comes with software methods of syncing like V-Sync.

Hopefully this answers your question about which panel type to get as well as hopefully informs you of the refresh rate isn't all that matters in case you didn't already know.