144Hz 1080p or 144Hz 1440p

Solution
For some it is worth and for others it isnt't. I can't tell if it is worth to you. Depends on how much money you have and what i tell you in my previous posting.
In example to me personally I don't see big difference between 1440p and 1080p while gaming, but the extra pixels are good while browsing web or editing photography images or videos. Others see a big difference and never want go back to lower resolution.
You ask a very personal question which is highly subjective.

ioakim100

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Is it worth to buy a 1440p to play 60-100 fps ? Οr a 1080p to 80-130 fps ? It's my first time that i will buy a monitor over 60Hz and i don't know which are the best fps rate for a monitor like this.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately I can't really help you out there, as I have no personal experience with monitors with >75 Hz. I will say that it depends on what kinds of games you play. If you play fast paced games like first person shooters (especially if you play competitively), I've heard many people say it makes a huge difference. I play mostly slow paced games like strategy and RPG, so I'd always take higher resolution over refresh rate personally.

Also, if you get a 144 Hz 1440p monitor now, you can then take full advantage of it down the road when you eventually upgrade your GPU. And make due with a little lower framerates for now.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
There is no thing like "best fps rate for a monitor". Like TJ Hooker said, it depends on the games.
I upgraded to 165hz 1440p monitor with G-Sync and use it to play games with my GTX 1070. I don't need the higher fps/hz for most games, so I can dial down some settings and don't mind that. Crysis 3 in example runs this way at 70 to 90fps with high (mixed) settings and looks awesome (if im not mistaken and remember the fps right, sorry if it is wrong), like a new title from this year. For games like Overwatch I dial down as much as needed to get 165hz. Some games even don't go higher than 60fps/hz, like Tekken 7. And Playerunkown's Battleground is not very good optimized and to get 80fps and not to go low on quality settings, I set it to 1080p, which looks slightly blurrier on my monitor, but only if I make a comparison. Never forget that option to be able to set lower resolution.

But my experience is with G-Sync enabled. G-Sync can make the monitor 150-200 Euro/Dollar more expensive, but its worth in my opinion. That way my montor is not fixed to a specific hz while gaming. If it goes below 60fps, the monitor change the displayrate (hz) and adapt it (thats why G-Sync and FreeSync are called Adaptive Sync). The good thing is, you don't have the input lag like you would get with V-Sync, but you also don't have tearing if you would set off V-Sync. So, G-Sync is best to both worlds. Without it, I could not play my games at such high settings and high fps, as I would enable V-Sync at 60hz, because my system can't hold 165fps whole time.

Hope this wasn't confusing answer. Just ask more if you want to know something.

ioakim100

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
In my country a 1080p 144Hz monitor without g-sych cost around 280-350 euro. A 1440p 165Hz with g-sych cost around 550-700 . So a 1440p monito cost 200 euro more than a 1080p is this price worth for the gaming experience ?

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
For some it is worth and for others it isnt't. I can't tell if it is worth to you. Depends on how much money you have and what i tell you in my previous posting.
In example to me personally I don't see big difference between 1440p and 1080p while gaming, but the extra pixels are good while browsing web or editing photography images or videos. Others see a big difference and never want go back to lower resolution.
You ask a very personal question which is highly subjective.

Solution