Question 144hz 1440p, 240hz 1080p, or 144hz 1080p curved

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
So 1440p 144hz gives you a better resolution, can get a better look at distant objects, at the sacrifice that your system has to work harder to achieve higher frame rates. You can get a larger monitor without it looking low resolution, debatable on wether that’s a pro or con.

1080p 240hz gives you a higher frame rate, a quicker reaction time, a decrease in ghosting, and overall looks better. Less of a jump from 144hz to 240hz than it was from 60hz to 144hz, might not have that much of an affect, but you

1080p 144hz with a curved screen gives you a better viewing angle, less distance between your eyes and the corner of the screen let’s you see better and more emersion, all this without your system having to work harder for extra frames or resolution.

Im a competitive gamer and want to do gaming content creation, which one would be right for me?

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hi there!

Will this monitor be used with the system in your signature? If indeed it is going to be paired with an RX 580, you'll have trouble hitting 144fps @ 1440p in most games, likewise 240fps @ 1080p.

These kinds of framerates at the given resolutions will only be achievable in certain e-sports titles, which means the preferred monitor, whether it be one of the above 3 options or not, will very much depend on which particular competitive game(s) you'll be playing.

With an RX 580, the 1080p 144hz curved would make the most sense, is my opinion, as personally I'd be looking to extract every bit of my money's worth in a new monitor :)

Last edited:

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Hi there!

Will this monitor be used with the system in your signature? If indeed it is going to be paired with an RX 580, you'll have trouble hitting 144fps @ 1440p in most games, likewise 240fps @ 1080p.

These kinds of framerates at the given resolutions will only be achievable in certain e-sports titles, which means the preferred monitor, whether it be one of the above 3 options or not, will very much depend on which particular competitive game(s) you'll be playing.

With an RX 580, a 1080p 144hz monitor would make the most sense, is my opinion, as personally I'd be looking to extract every bit of my money's worth in a new monitor :)
Thanks for the reply! It doesn’t matter the power of my system, I’m planning to upgrade (Rx 5700 xt looks nice). I’m just wondering what the best monitor is overall. If we’re going for pure price than the 1440p 144hz is the way to go?

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the reply! It doesn’t matter the power of my system, I’m planning to upgrade (Rx 5700 xt looks nice). I’m just wondering what the best monitor is overall. If we’re going for pure price than the 1440p 144hz is the way to go?
Purely comes down to preference and use-case, however competitive gamers usually prefer higher hertz monitors over higher resolutions.

I feel that the questions here are; best monitor for what? And which games will you be playing?
There's more to the monitor selection than a 'best overall' answer could account for imo, but I'd welcome others to chime in as I may not be very helpful to your decision here without more info.

That being said, if it were for my own use-case (which doesn't involve any competitive gaming), I would pair my 5700 XT with a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

144Hz would be ample, and you'd be able to hit 144+ fps easily in most if not all e-sports titles, and comfortably at low-medium settings in all but the most demanding/poorly optimised games with that GPU.

Last edited:

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I think 27" Samsung CRG5 might be the monitor for you, cos it's 1080p 240Hz and it's also curved(only 240Hz curved monitor afaik). But it's slightly larger(1.5") than most 240Hz monitors which are 24.5".

Apr 25, 2020
Ok. If you're all about that smooth experience, 144hz or 165 hz are better, but, if you're looking to save money, you can roll with 1080 60hz. The thing is, let's say that you're playing on 240fps consistently but have a 60hz monitor. The frames are still being rendered and played at 240fps, the only disadvantages with have 60hz is that if you are playing fps games, character models appear slower as if they are 60fps instead of 240fps. BUT the thing that people don't understand is that, I lowers input delay and the monitor isn't the pc itsself. It just shows the frames. If you unplug a display and play without a screen but with the headphones on. Everything still is happenning as if you were playing with a screen. You just can't identify were to go or what you are doing. THERE IS NO POINT OF GETTING 240hz unless you want the advantages of smoother game visuals and faster character model rendering. but don't take this seriously, I'm just saying, stick with 60hz-165hz.