Question 144hz and stable 144fps doesn't feel as smooth as it should ?

Nov 15, 2021
Hello,
Stable 144fps isn't as smooth as it should be. Sometimes it feels like I'm playing on a 60hz monitor. The cursor on the desktop doesn't feel smooth either. I have 144hz set in the monitor for sure. I have G-sync turned off. I really don't know what to do, please help...

i took a picture with my phone when moving the cursor on desktop:
and what it looks like in a certain reddit post:

Last edited:

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Initially, I wasn't going to approach this hot pile of what is this.

But.

Do you have mouse trails enabled? Does ANYTHING else ghost/seem off similar to your cursor? If not, I would plug another device/PC into that monitor and see if it looks normal. Same goes for the potentially offending PC. Plug it into another display and tell us the results. As long as it's not the dreaded mouse trails, I'm betting on the monitor being faulty.

Nov 15, 2021
Initially, I wasn't going to approach this hot pile of what is this.

But.

Do you have mouse trails enabled? Does ANYTHING else ghost/seem off similar to your cursor? If not, I would plug another device/PC into that monitor and see if it looks normal. Same goes for the potentially offending PC. Plug it into another display and tell us the results. As long as it's not the dreaded mouse trails, I'm betting on the monitor being faulty.
ok, so I plugged the monitor to another computer and everything seems to be fine

Nov 15, 2021
I guess it might be something from gpu / cpu. Some bios setup or something. Why? I fixed it once by turning on the turbo boost in the bios and everything was smooth. Unfortunately, the next day (even though I didn't change any settings) the problem returned. Please. help me. I would like to enjoy smooth gameplay :/

Nov 15, 2021
Where? In windows settings? Or in the mouse settings? But I don't think it could help. It is probably not the mouse's fault.
Mouse trails only add mouse trails, do not add smoothness

Last edited:

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
how can i check if it's something with my gpu?
Ideally, I'd swap the GPU with another to cross test. Consolidate where the problem is. Since you don't have another GPU to test with, I'd start by trying different outputs on the GPU. Whether it be another DP port, or HDMI. See if you observe the same behavior.

If you get the same results, I would remove the GPU and ensure the PCI Express connectors both on the video card and motherboard are clean and free of dust/debris. Then reseat the video card and try again.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
In case there's some program installed interfering, deselect everything in task manager startup items and reboot.

Have you reinstalled Geforce driver since the problem started? Use the custom clean install option. Maybe try display driver uninstaller in safemode then install latest or different driver from https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/ manual search.

What was your circumstances before this problem? Were you running 144hz fine before or is all of this new or something?

Nov 15, 2021
Ideally, I'd swap the GPU with another to cross test. Consolidate where the problem is. Since you don't have another GPU to test with, I'd start by trying different outputs on the GPU. Whether it be another DP port, or HDMI. See if you observe the same behavior.

If you get the same results, I would remove the GPU and ensure the PCI Express connectors both on the video card and motherboard are clean and free of dust/debris. Then reseat the video card and try again.
changing the output on the gpu does not change anything. I took out my graphics card and put it in again. Nothing has changed.

Nov 15, 2021
In case there's some program installed interfering, deselect everything in task manager startup items and reboot.

Have you reinstalled Geforce driver since the problem started? Use the custom clean install option. Maybe try display driver uninstaller in safemode then install latest or different driver from https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/ manual search.

What was your circumstances before this problem? Were you running 144hz fine before or is all of this new or something?
I always had everything turned off in task management.
yes, I reinstalled the driver.

"What was your circumstances before this problem? Were you running 144hz fine before or is all of this new or something?" - I always felt that the games and the desktop weren't as smooth as they should be. moving the mouse is/was choppy. Even on a 60hz monitor. I wrote about it before. One day I fixed this problem by turning on the turbo boost in the bios. everything was smooth then. but the next day, even though I hadn't changed any settings, the problem returned

I also made a hard reset few times.