144Hz Budget PC?

Jul 8, 2018
Hi all,
I'm about to build a budget PC for the new World of Warcraft expansion and I've decided on the Pentium G4560 but I'm unsure of what graphics card to choose. I don't need crazy fps but I would like to try out 144hz if possible. I'm happy with the graphics settings at 5-7. Preferably running at 144hz on a 1080p 27 inch monitor I was thinking about the GTX 1060, 1050, 1050ti or the RX 470, RX 460. Should I just get the cheapest one available or is there a best value one for 144hz? Any other suggestions? Is 144hz expecting too much with this kind of setup? Every other part of the comp will be cheapest available part that does the job, with WoW sitting on an SSD. Thanks

Solution
I realize I am super late with this response but i have a omen x laptop and it has a 1070 and i play max settings without even a stutter even when raiding and in reality you don't need 144hz in a rpg only time you would even notice that rate is in shooters or games to turn your camera relay fast. Also you could even skimp even more, I was able to play wow on a AMD A4-6300 3.70GHz Dual-Core Processor with no graphics card on min settings so you can always get a old used card for cheap and then put all that saved money into a better cpu because you will be a lot more happy with a faster cpu than a faster gpu when it comes to a game like wow. If you give me a budget your working on I am more than happy to try and toss together a...

bichn

Reputable
May 29, 2015
wow is not a demanding game unless your a raider or have a lot of shit going on you should be fine with a 1050 but i have a 1070 in my laptop and i can do raiding on max settings with almost no issues at all

Jul 8, 2018

ahh okay thankyou, I'm not doing any raiding or BGs atm so you think the 1050 can handle the 144Hz? Also I am starting from scratch again so I just want to get a PC running for WoW right now (hence the budget), and I plan to upgrade the GPU within a year (as well as most of the system), so my follow up question is: do you think I should buy the 1070 now, or just the 1050 for wow and wait so I can buy a super-duper GPU down the line for modern games?

Also you said you have a 1070, do you play wow at 144Hz?

1050ti will do for 1080p WoW in most cases.1060 6 GB is the sweet spot and anything above, for WoW, definitely gives higher FPS but acts more as Future proofing card.

However, future upgrades and more powerful cards in the 10 series will be restricted in performance by your Pentium, even though it is Kaby Lake.

Yup. Didnt see this post as I had the tab open for quite some time, but also, atleast from one of my customer's builds, we saw the pentium did restrict performance of the 1070 and up slightly.

Jul 8, 2018
Okay, thanks for everybody responding.

I guess I overestimated the pentium G4560 because I read that WoW practically just used 1 core and I watched a guy testing it ( https://youtu.be/Rth14iNXHAU test starts at 12:30) with a similar GPU. Thanks for the advice with the CPU choice and 144Hz.

I think as I'm restricted by budget at the moment I'll sacrifice the 144Hz for now and go with the cheaper G4560 + gtx1050ti combo, even if it means going to 30fps, as I just would like to be able to play with BfA launch with some stability. Where I live the price difference between the G4560 and the i3 8100 is about 180% which is a bit much for me if I want to upgrade within a year.

bichn

Reputable
May 29, 2015
I realize I am super late with this response but i have a omen x laptop and it has a 1070 and i play max settings without even a stutter even when raiding and in reality you don't need 144hz in a rpg only time you would even notice that rate is in shooters or games to turn your camera relay fast. Also you could even skimp even more, I was able to play wow on a AMD A4-6300 3.70GHz Dual-Core Processor with no graphics card on min settings so you can always get a old used card for cheap and then put all that saved money into a better cpu because you will be a lot more happy with a faster cpu than a faster gpu when it comes to a game like wow. If you give me a budget your working on I am more than happy to try and toss together a build on pc part picker for you. I do apologize again for the lateness of this replay but work kept me for even turning on my pc the last few days XD

Jul 8, 2018
[/quotemsg] I realize I am super late with this response but i have a omen x laptop and it has a 1070 and i play max settings without even a stutter even when raiding and in reality you don't need 144hz in a rpg only time you would even notice that rate is in shooters or games to turn your camera relay fast. Also you could even skimp even more, I was able to play wow on a AMD A4-6300 3.70GHz Dual-Core Processor with no graphics card on min settings so you can always get a old used card for cheap and then put all that saved money into a better cpu because you will be a lot more happy with a faster cpu than a faster gpu when it comes to a game like wow. If you give me a budget your working on I am more than happy to try and toss together a build on pc part picker for you. I do apologize again for the lateness of this replay but work kept me for even turning on my pc the last few days XD[/quotemsg]

Thanks for the response, not too late at all, I went to a few PC stores today and spoke with some people, but am yet to make a desicion. Yeah I'm def gonna ditch the 144hz, and I will go for a cheaper GPU, the GTX 1030 was suggested? My budget is around 2,000,000 COP or $700 USD but I'm not sure about the price discrepancy (I live in Colombia). Some examples: gtx1030 $149 USD,
gtx1050 $208 USD, gtx1070 $450 USD. So, yeah, a cheaper GPU I think. And maybe a Ryzen 3 1200? This cost $110 USD for me compared to a Pentium G4560 with cost $72 USD. I appreciate your advice :)

bichn

Reputable
May 29, 2015
I realize I am super late with this response but i have a omen x laptop and it has a 1070 and i play max settings without even a stutter even when raiding and in reality you don't need 144hz in a rpg only time you would even notice that rate is in shooters or games to turn your camera relay fast. Also you could even skimp even more, I was able to play wow on a AMD A4-6300 3.70GHz Dual-Core Processor with no graphics card on min settings so you can always get a old used card for cheap and then put all that saved money into a better cpu because you will be a lot more happy with a faster cpu than a faster gpu when it comes to a game like wow. If you give me a budget your working on I am more than happy to try and toss together a build on pc part picker for you. I do apologize again for the lateness of this replay but work kept me for even turning on my pc the last few days XD[/quotemsg]

Thanks for the response, not too late at all, I went to a few PC stores today and spoke with some people, but am yet to make a desicion. Yeah I'm def gonna ditch the 144hz, and I will go for a cheaper GPU, the GTX 1030 was suggested? My budget is around 2,000,000 COP or $700 USD but I'm not sure about the price discrepancy (I live in Colombia). Some examples: gtx1030 $149 USD,
gtx1050 $208 USD, gtx1070 $450 USD. So, yeah, a cheaper GPU I think. And maybe a Ryzen 3 1200? This cost $110 USD for me compared to a Pentium G4560 with cost $72 USD. I appreciate your advice :)[/quotemsg]

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BLJcMZ here is one i just quickly tossed together for you its right at the 700 us be you could easily drop that down by using your old hard drive and ram depending on if you have compatible parts along with whatever case you currently are using or even try to find some used parts without buying the ram, hard drives, case it would be around 500 us that being those prices are from in the use so it will probably be a little more but that pc should be more than enough for you to have a good time in wow if you have any more questions i will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability

Solution
Jul 8, 2018
Hi Bichin

thanks for your list I believe I will go with something very similar. For now I think i'll hold off on the GPU (due to budget) as I read that the Ryzen 5 2400g can make do in the meantime with their APU, and I watched a video of a guy running 1080p consistently above 30fps at low settings in WoW, here is a link to the video https://youtu.be/auHWCgKwE2w .

I have a few more questions if you don't mind: Can i run wow with the setup you recommended on a 27 inch moniter at 1080p even without the GPU for a while? (like is there much difference between 24inch and 27inch at 1080p?) Also can you recommend a chaep 27inch gaming moniter to suit the setup? Thanks so much for your time I really appreciate it.

bichn

Reputable
May 29, 2015
A 27 inch shouldn’t affect the performance all that much it’s only when you increase resulution or refresh rate when it will and I suggest since you don’t know what graphics card you are getting just get the cheapest you can find then once you buy a graphics card you buy one with free sync or gsync whatever is applicable personally I think gsync works better but monitors with it tend to be more expensive normally but monitors are one of those subjective things that changes by the person my personal office has 5 ROG swifts 1440p 144hz 27” and one 32inch 4K monitor I got off some guy and I don’t even know the specs on it I use it for my main test bench because runnning 4K benchmarks is a good test for a high end pc imho

In your case I would just buy whatever is the cheapest you can that is 1080p and 60hz and it’s should get the job done nicely

again I am more than happy to assist you if you would like more help