vinnie12345

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
asus z170 mk1
asus strix sound card
32gb g.skill 2132
evga hybrid gtx 1080
samsung evo 840

I am getting buzzing sounds that are loudest when playing games. From what i can tell this is line noise caused by the fps being produced from my gpu. Another weird issue is that upon hard shutdown, i get a loud "pop" through my headset.

When i limit the fps to 60 the noise is gone.
From 63-144hz the noise increases in pitch.
Anything above 144hz and the noise is the same.

Turning the volume up and down does nothing to the volume of the noise. The buzzing is the same from full mute to 100% volume.

I would not suspect line noise to be an issue with an internal sound card and suspect a hardware issue in the sound card itself or possibly in the mobo, but I would really appreciate some advice. I have also been experiencing game crashes that would require me to hard shutdown, but I have learned to set task manager to "always on top".

Ok, one way to rule out the soundcard is by using the inbuilt sound port. Try using a headphone in the front panel port and see if there is a buzzing noise. I think its an interference caused between the graphics card and sound card.

vinnie12345

Distinguished
May 29, 2011

happens in all games. i have done research and from what i can tell, the gpu load is causing "line noise"

This was never an issue using the onboard audio. however i dont believe the sound card is defective because it performs awesomely when my gpu isnt working hard in a game