144hz display and AMD changes

stavros58

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi I have a 144hz AOC monitor and 2 Radeon 7870 cards in crossfire . Until recently I couldn't run the monitor higher than 120Hz in crossfire mode as it crashes the computer completely if you run it at 144HZ. Ordinarily this is resolved by fitting a second bridge but because you cannot fit a second bridge on a 7870 you have to run it at 120HZ not a problem I was happy enough with the 120HZ. However I retested it recently and now it works fine in all the games and GPU testing programs e.g. Unique Valley it wouldn't run before. I am using the latest Beta driver from AMD but I can not see any mention of a fix in the notes and I'm surprised they could fix it anyway through software. Does anybody have any idea why its now working? my only concern is the monitor has stopped running at 144HZ and so far I have been unable to find anyway program to test it the actual refresh rate.

stavros58

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
At the suggestion on another forum Blurbusters.com I tried running Fraps on Black Ops 2 maxed out unlimited frames with v sync off a constant 200 fps with v sync on a constant 120 fps so I wasn't sure what that is telling me. So I went and turned the monitor down to 60Hz in windows then re ran fraps in BLOPS 2 v-sync off no change constant 200fps then put V-Sync on and it went down to 60fps which is what vsync does by matching your framerate with your monitors re-fresh rate. So from all that Im pretty confident that the 144HZ refresh is working fine but that AMD have put a fix into automatically reduce the 144HZ to 120HZ to prevent the system crashing if 144HZ is not compatible. Thats my best guess and seems logical, i think!!!