[SOLVED] 144hz displaying 60hz?

Mar 12, 2020
recently just got a monitor and running dual link dvi-d from gpu to display and the windows setting of refresh rate displays 144hz and is selected as an option, the same with nvidia control panel. this also along with it shows 144hz on the ufotest but it just doesn't feel like 144hz at all, just exactly the same as a 60hz monitor. i currently have a second monitor in which is at 75hz and you can really notice the difference just between the two. help? idk

Last edited:
Solution
For a simple test, you can run GPU bench program on 60 Hz and 144 Hz monitor settings while trying to spot the difference(s).
E.g Unigine Superposition, link: https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition

Just did the test myself.
From Nvidia Control Panel, i set my refresh rate to 60 Hz, ran Superposition in 1080p Medium and saw a bit of screen tearing since my average FPS was 90. After that, i set my refresh rate back to 144 Hz and ran the same Superposition bench again. No screen tearing whatsoever.

Of course, Superposition is mainly slow moving objects and it's very hard to see the smoothness 144 Hz gives over 60 Hz. But if your average FPS is well over 60 (e.g 80-100) and when running 60 Hz, you should see the same results as...
Mar 12, 2020
Are you comparing only in ufotest?

https://www.testufo.com/browser.html

Check you're using a supported browser.

Try with just the new monitor connected and do the ufotest again.

Another test is resize a window and move it around quickly with your mouse. Test this in 60Hz and then 144Hz and see if you notice a difference.
I'm using opera which is supported all the way up to 120+ and yes the window feels exactly the same to a 60hz

Mar 12, 2020
That is odd. Have you tried disconnecting the second monitor? Or trying 120Hz?

Can ya list your PC specs and monitor please
I have tried disconnecting the second monitor a couple of times yes and i've tried 120hz, even 100 but nothing feels over 60hz.

Processor: FX 8350
Memory: 12GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 960 4GB

monitor is the AOC G2460PQU

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Scrolling through web pages, moving windows or mouse cursor around should see a difference. Regarding games, if that's what you like to do, is going to be somewhat limiting (depending on game) to see 100Hz+ if GTX 960 can't supply enough frames at that level. Csgo, Portal, L4D or even HL2 would be a good test for a 960. It isn't exactly a high performance card in modern games so wouldn't expect too much from it, and also the processor's ability to feed a faster gpu (if considering) isn't going to be ideal.

Maybe try ufotest on a different browse and have vsync on.

Mar 12, 2020
Scrolling through web pages, moving windows or mouse cursor around should see a difference. Regarding games, if that's what you like to do, is going to be somewhat limiting (depending on game) to see 100Hz+ if GTX 960 can't supply enough frames at that level. Csgo, Portal, L4D or even HL2 would be a good test for a 960. It isn't exactly a high performance card in modern games so wouldn't expect too much from it, and also the processor's ability to feed a faster gpu (if considering) isn't going to be ideal.

Maybe try ufotest on a different browse and have vsync on.
trying the ufotest on other browsers such as i just tried it on edge with 100hz (which is compatible) it recognizes the amount of hz selected along with nvidia control panel and windows refresh rate settings but as i said it doesn't feel remarkably close to anything over 60hz. not when operating windows or even whilst playing games

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at specs for different cards, some of them are dvi-d (digital), not dvi-dual, and dvi-d will support 75Hz @ 1080p but not higher refresh. I'd suggest using Display Port instead as that will support 144Hz @ 1080p.

If you do have a dvi-dual card, it's possible you have a dvi-d cable, not a dvi-dual cable, so regardless of adapter settings or monitor settings, you'll get only what the cable will allow

Mar 12, 2020
Looking at specs for different cards, some of them are dvi-d (digital), not dvi-dual, and dvi-d will support 75Hz @ 1080p but not higher refresh. I'd suggest using Display Port instead as that will support 144Hz @ 1080p.

If you do have a dvi-dual card, it's possible you have a dvi-d cable, not a dvi-dual cable, so regardless of adapter settings or monitor settings, you'll get only what the cable will allow
i'm using the cable that came with the box which is a dual dvi cable, like i have the option to use the 144hz but it doesn't look it at all. however i'm getting a display port cable instead to see if that'll do the trick

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can use a dvi-d dual cable on a dvi-d or dvi-i port as long as the center holes are not filled solid on the adapter. But the center will only be hollow sockets, no receiving pins. The 2x outside blocks will be pinned.

You just can't use a dvi-i cable in a dedicated dvi-d port, it won't have the 4x analog pin sockets surrounding the blade on the left.

DP at 1080p won't have any restrictions, should definitely solve connector issues.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but it just doesn't feel like 144hz at all, just exactly the same as a 60hz monitor
It could be your eyesight as well.

I too upgraded my monitor from old 60 Hz TN panel to new 144 Hz VA panel and i couldn't tell a difference between 144 Hz and 60 Hz, despite all other stats/specs saying that i'm running 144 Hz. Just did the UFO test in FF and that too showed me 144 Hz.

Only in some faster-paced games, my 144 Hz monitor gave a bit smoother feel but that was about it. Then again, i don't play fast-paced games and my eyes aren't trained as well as e.g FPS e-sports members have them. So, there's that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I notice a difference in Windows but should notice more in games. From 60 to 144 is a big difference. Games can have refresh rate settings and not sure if motion blur could hide the difference. Test if such settings exist in your games.

Mar 12, 2020
Maybe. I'd rather blame the monitor first before your eyes. 144Hz is pretty good so it would be a shame.

Maybe take the monitor to a PC store to have it checked out?

Besides, you noticed 75Hz right?
I noticed the difference from 60 to 75 yes, I'll get the monitor checked

Reactions: boju

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
For a simple test, you can run GPU bench program on 60 Hz and 144 Hz monitor settings while trying to spot the difference(s).
E.g Unigine Superposition, link: https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition

Just did the test myself.
From Nvidia Control Panel, i set my refresh rate to 60 Hz, ran Superposition in 1080p Medium and saw a bit of screen tearing since my average FPS was 90. After that, i set my refresh rate back to 144 Hz and ran the same Superposition bench again. No screen tearing whatsoever.

Of course, Superposition is mainly slow moving objects and it's very hard to see the smoothness 144 Hz gives over 60 Hz. But if your average FPS is well over 60 (e.g 80-100) and when running 60 Hz, you should see the same results as i did (screen tearing at 60 Hz but none at 144 Hz).

Oh, if your GTX 960 can't push much past 60 FPS with 1080p Medium settings in Superposition then use 720p Low settings.

Solution