[SOLVED] 144hz feels same as 60hz

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Hello,
So i have a problem with my monitor which is Asus VG248QE, the display does not feel smooth at all. It actually feels just the same as the old one which was a random cheap 60hz monitor. I have changed my Windows settings to 144hz and also nVidia Control Panel settings are set to 144hz and improved performance.

My hardware specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
16gb RAM 2667mhz
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
nVidia geforce 1660super
monitor: Asus VG248QE (display port cable)

Basicaly my problem is that when im playing videogames such as League of Legends, my frames are dropping and the game does not feel smooth. I used to have my settings set to everything low and for imrpoved performance but lately I found out that it's actually better if my settings are on high not sure whats the logic behind that? So my ingame settings are now set to high and Windows settings are set to 144hz and nVidia control panel settings are set to imrpoved performance, but the game still feels like some fps are skipping. I would kindly ask you if anyone can help me.

vertical sync is off...

Greetings :)

Solution
Your monitor has DisplayPort 1.2 and Nvidia GeForce 1660 super has DisplayPort 1.4a. Well that's not a problem as you've mentioned 1080p gaming.
Run Fraps to keep an eye on the refresh rate of the screen, inform us about that. Are you getting more than 60 Hz?
Secondly, there are some settings on the monitor itself like FPS1, FPS2 (if any) which personally I do not prefer, as they make the screen look uncomfortable.

BTW, DisplayPort 1.4 cable is backward compatible with 1.2. You need not worry about that as you're sticking the 1080p. DisplayPort 1.2 has max bandwidth of 21.6 Gbps and supports FHD, 1440p @ 144 Hz.

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
My resolution is 1920x1080, i have capped my fps to 144 ingame but if it's not capped its usually around 140-220 sometimes 130 if there is a lot of action.
Cable is DisplayPort but i'm not sure if there are different types of display ports that support different hz?

Hmm, seems something else is going on then I think. Unless you can swap out the display port cable with another incase the cable itself is the cause.
Other than that I'm not sure. If you've set it in your display adapter properties then the monitor is being recognized as a 144hz display.

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Do you think that I should be using the expensive cables because I swapped my cable few days ago with another "cheap" DisplayPort and it did not change anything.

prateek320i

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
Your monitor has DisplayPort 1.2 and Nvidia GeForce 1660 super has DisplayPort 1.4a. Well that's not a problem as you've mentioned 1080p gaming.
Run Fraps to keep an eye on the refresh rate of the screen, inform us about that. Are you getting more than 60 Hz?
Secondly, there are some settings on the monitor itself like FPS1, FPS2 (if any) which personally I do not prefer, as they make the screen look uncomfortable.

BTW, DisplayPort 1.4 cable is backward compatible with 1.2. You need not worry about that as you're sticking the 1080p. DisplayPort 1.2 has max bandwidth of 21.6 Gbps and supports FHD, 1440p @ 144 Hz.

Solution