[SOLVED] 144hz freesync monitor w/nvidia gpu

jerfop12

Commendable
Dec 16, 2017
Hey,

Im looking to buy the MSI Optix MAG24C (144 hz FreeSync monitor)

But....
I got the GTX 1060 3GB,
FPS Wise im good with that for games like fortnite , overwatch etc.

But freesync is for AMD so i wont be able to use FreeSync, is that a big problem?
And will i still get the 144hz smoothness? Thats why im upgrading from 60 to 144.

I can cap my FPS in all of these games, so why would i even need freesync?

Greetings,

Solution
The difference between 60hz and 144hz is day and night, if your PC can really push high FPS.
If your PC can push only 20 FPS...well...having 60hz monitor or 144hz monitor will not make any big difference...hehehehe
Monitor refresh rate acts also as the maximum FPS, which the monitor can display.
How many FPS you get from your PC? Well, it depends on your PC.
This means, if your PC delivers only 70 FPS and your monitor is 144hz, your eyes get only 70 FPS.
If your PC can go 200 FPS but your monitor is only 144hz, your eyes will see only 144 FPS.

Adaptive Sync (GSync and FreeSync) helps the game on lower FPS to feel smoother than without. How this works?
If the FPS falls below the monitor refresh rate, the monitor will repeat the same...
FreeSync and GSync is acually the ultimate solution for screen tearing but screen tearing on 120/144/165/240hz screen is between not visible to none existence even without any Sync.

If you can get high FPS e.g. over 100, FreeSync and GSync are not that useable.
They just really helpful on lower and instable FPS e.g. 60FPS average with drops to e.g. 40.
Those Adaptive Syncs help to smoothen up the game a bit on lower FPS, just do not expect the smoothness of high FPS.

jerfop12

Commendable
Dec 16, 2017
Hi thanks for your reply,

Will i enjoy the 144HZ? Will i have a nice difference between the 60 & 144?
I have a 1060, i get 200+ in overwatch & fortnite, so it will BARELY go under.

''Those Adaptive Syncs help to smoothen up the game a bit on lower FPS, just do not expect the smoothness of high FPS.''
What do you mean with that ^?

All i need to know is, can i just run it like a nice 144 hz monitor just play my game and feel the upgrade from 60 to 144?
I have the FPS for it.

Greetings,

The difference between 60hz and 144hz is day and night, if your PC can really push high FPS.
If your PC can push only 20 FPS...well...having 60hz monitor or 144hz monitor will not make any big difference...hehehehe
Monitor refresh rate acts also as the maximum FPS, which the monitor can display.
How many FPS you get from your PC? Well, it depends on your PC.
This means, if your PC delivers only 70 FPS and your monitor is 144hz, your eyes get only 70 FPS.
If your PC can go 200 FPS but your monitor is only 144hz, your eyes will see only 144 FPS.

Adaptive Sync (GSync and FreeSync) helps the game on lower FPS to feel smoother than without. How this works?
If the FPS falls below the monitor refresh rate, the monitor will repeat the same frame several time until the new frame comes. This make the game looks jittery.
On adaptive Sync, the monitor will refresh only as soon as the frame comes, this makes the game less jittery (stutters less).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS