News 144Hz Gaming Monitor Deal Makes 1440p Curved Acer Cheaper Than Ever

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I still cant recommend curved 16:9 monitors, its just such a gimmick at that size and aspect ratio.
Not sure what this ""gimmick" you speak of is?

I just upgraded from (3) 27" 1080P flat displays to (3) Gigabyte CV27Q (1440P curved) displays. The viewing comfort of the curved screen alone is worth the upgrade! With (3) flat displays, the viewing angle never flet right and I would constantly be re-angling the side displays.

The alternative(s) or lack there of:
  • (3) flat 1440P displays... just said I didnt like this.
  • (3) 21:9 curved displays... too wide, also 21:9 would not work for alot of my programs
  • (3) 21:9 flat displays... same as above but now we've made the feeling of "wrong viewing angle" even worst
  • (2) 21:9 displays... bezel right down the middle of my work area, also ratio doesnt work with programs
  • (2) 21:9 flat displays... same as above but now we've made the feeling of "wrong viewing angle" even worst
  • (1) 32:9 display... not wide enough
  • (2) 32:9 displays... too wide
  • etc...

I have brought this up multiple times challenging the "gimmick" mentality of some people without a single answer. There is absolutely a place for this and its perfect for my needs, but I'm not running around saying that flat monitors are a gimmick, now am I?

Not sure what this ""gimmick" you speak of is?

I just upgraded from (3) 27" 1080P flat displays to (3) Gigabyte CV27Q (1440P curved) displays. The viewing comfort of the curved screen alone is worth the upgrade! With (3) flat displays, the viewing angle never flet right and I would constantly be re-angling the side displays.

The alternative(s) or lack there of:
  • (3) flat 1440P displays... just said I didnt like this.
  • (3) 21:9 curved displays... too wide, also 21:9 would not work for alot of my programs
  • (3) 21:9 flat displays... same as above but now we've made the feeling of "wrong viewing angle" even worst
  • (2) 21:9 displays... bezel right down the middle of my work area, also ratio doesnt work with programs
  • (2) 21:9 flat displays... same as above but now we've made the feeling of "wrong viewing angle" even worst
  • (1) 32:9 display... not wide enough
  • (2) 32:9 displays... too wide
  • etc...
I have brought this up multiple times challenging the "gimmick" mentality of some people without a single answer. There is absolutely a place for this and its perfect for my needs, but I'm not running around saying that flat monitors are a gimmick, now am I?
Its mostly a gimmick in the sense that youd have to work around it to get desired results. I personally dont have nearly the depth to accommodate multiple curved monitors in a single setup. Your experience with flat monitors is just that, your experience. Ive never once thought my viewing angle is wrong with either of my two monitors, its comfy and flat enough to not take up precious space.
In my opinion, curved is great for ultrawide, single monitor setups.
If youre going multiple panels, Ive always liked flat better. Like I said, I cant recommend it, never said other people wont like it.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Its mostly a gimmick in the sense that youd have to work around it to get desired results. I personally dont have nearly the depth to accommodate multiple curved monitors in a single setup. Your experience with flat monitors is just that, your experience. Ive never once thought my viewing angle is wrong with either of my two monitors, its comfy and flat enough to not take up precious space.
In my opinion, curved is great for ultrawide, single monitor setups.
If youre going multiple panels, Ive always liked flat better. Like I said, I cant recommend it, never said other people wont like it.

No such thing as "mostly gimmick" either something is a gimmick or it is not, and implies an item/idea/etc is useless and serves no purpose other than attract attention (shiny). Even if a device serves a small purpose it is not a gimmick, and the term your looking for is niche. I literally laid out multiple use cases where a curved monitor is better that flat, so I'm not even going to classify this as a small niche, but a large one!

"I cant recommend it, never said other people wont like it"... wait, you "can't" recommend something to people who would "like" or benefit from it simply because it doesnt fit your use case? So if someone came to you and said, I have a problem, multiple flat panels dont look right and I'm constantly having to readjust the angle, etc... your reply would be: "there are these curved monitors that would solve your problem and work perfectly, but I cant recommend them because I dont have the same issue/opinion as you." Here's another analogy; what is a good FPS game; BF5, COD, MOD, etc, etc, etc?; and your reply would be: 'I don't recommend any FPS shooter games because I play RPGs.' WOW, just WOW; you do know what narcissus is?

I am an engineer, my job is to provide solution to meet the needs of our customers. I develop solutions and make recommendations all day long that dont fit my personal use case, you know why... because my personal use case and my customers' use cases may or may not be the same. A recommendation is NOT for you, its for others and to across the board make a statement like you dont recommend something based on your own personal opinions and uses is wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: smoldyr

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I still cant recommend curved 16:9 monitors, its just such a gimmick at that size and aspect ratio.
I thought the point was that VA has bad color, off-axis. So, they curve the screen to ensure you're looking on-axis across the whole display.

So far, curved monitors at this size all seem to be VA. And VA all seem to be curved.

Mar 5, 2022
I, too, am an engineer (B.Eng. in Computer Engineering). Thank you, @Dantte, for your detailed, cogent review of your experience with this monitor, and for exemplifying the qualities that a true engineer brings to the table by sharing your unique, unbiased, logical, and expert point of view (and for ripping @Gam3r01 a new one in the process, lol 😂...You wouldn't think that a moderator would say something like, "I can't recommend this [to anyone - even it's the best choice for their use case - because of my ego]" 🙄).

TRENDING THREADS