144hz looks like 75~hz on MG248Q

kkryz

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
So, about 2 months ago I got my first 144hz monitor which was a VG248QE, I did unfortunately have to RMA it because of various problems that also followed with my new screen, the MG248Q, these are as follows:

The 144hz does not feel smooth at all, being in desktop as well as in any game, it just feels like a 75-90hz screen, which is not what I wanted.

I have tried:

- Unparking my CPU Cores.

- Manually turning off all Windows settings, including Windows Defender and Windows Updater and the alike.

- Tweaking Nvidia Control Panel

- Resetting GPU Drivers with DDU and then fresh installing the latest drivers.

- Deleting the monitor drivers and even deleting the whole monitor itself

- Add new monitor drivers after the monitor deletion

- Manually locking the MS to 1MS (It puts itself to 0.5MS automatically for some reason.

- Putting screen to 144hz both in Nvidia Control Panel as well as on my GPU: GTX760 > Monitor > 144Hz. But also in the GPU settings as well.

- Overclock the GPU in case of any stutters/input lags.

- Much more, basically all there is to do.

My PC Specifications were as follows:

GTX 760 OEM (192Bit)

Intel I5-6400

8 GB Ram

450W PSU

- To clarify, I have tried both the VG248QE as well as the MG248Q with both DVI-D DL and DP Cable as well as the steps above and they all yield the same result regarding the non-smooth 144hz. I have even to fine-tune all settings including the Adaptive Sync settings, and it seems worse with that setting on rather than having FreeSync off.

- Other people with the same GPU card have managed to get a fix on this, however these have not worked for me.

Any help or solution is appreciated by a gigantic amount.

kkryz

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

I upgraded my whole computer and it is still the same.

GTX 1050 2GB OC

AMD FX-8300 (Not with stock CPU-Cooler)

8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1666 MHz

and every other part of the PC, still not getting a smooth 144Hz on the desktop, yet in-game it's fine, mostly. Sometimes the same games look garbage even with 144Hz.

Haven't tried gaming on my new PC with 144Hz on, but I play all gaming-genres and they are all affected the same on my old PC.

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

Go here and tell me what you see: http://testufo.com/ (make sure hardware acceleration in chrome is turned on), And are you using an FPS counter in the games you're playing to confirm that it feels non smooth when you're pulling 144fps+?

ICMachine

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Well with gtx1050 and that CPU playing any new-ish game you are not gonna come even close to use of those 144hz, I hope you realize that. Even on 1080p with medium settings you can be quite happy if you get those "common" 60 fps output. So it's basically no difference if you had 60hz or 144hz monitor.
144hz gaming monitors are meant for fast cpu/gpu rigs. Something like i5 6600k and GTX1070 would be perfect price/value combo for that 144hz monitor.

And what do you mean by "not smooth 144Hz on the desktop"? Did you check your monitor settings in windows, do you have max refresh rate selected?

TRENDING THREADS