[SOLVED] 144hz monitor choice for my laptop

Jul 28, 2020
Hi there, I'm sure this has been asked millions of times and I already read the related section but I don't think I am technically informed enough to process all that data and make my own choice so that's why I resorted to asking the million dollar question again.

I have an HP OMEN 17-an103ng which comes with an HDMI port only and a 1050 ti by GeForce. I was first considering to buy a BenQ 144 hz but I found out that it won't support 144 hz over HDMI. So researched more and found another monitor which is ViewSonic VX2458-MHD which apparently supports 144 hz over HDMI cable. Did anyone try this monitor out with a laptop? Are you getting 144hz? and also, can you suggest a monitor that can display 144hz with my laptop? I saw many videos about this monitor, it looks great but I didn't see anyone trying it with a laptop so that's why I must ask. Again, I apologize if this question was asked before but I really need to clear this up in my head because I'm either going to sell my rig and get an entire new gaming rig(desktop and all that) or stick with laptop and upgrade the monitor.
current setup;
AOC 75hz 24" monitor
HP Omen 17 1050ti
edit: I have just realised that I must check which ports my laptop has so apparently I have these ports and one of them is a mini display port if I'm not mistaken. So which monitor would be my best choice in this case? Yelp!?

picture of ports 1
picture of ports 2
picture of ports 3

Last edited:
Solution
I don't think you'd find many (if any) meaningful situations where a 1050ti would be able to generate 144 fps. You'd probably be better served with a 60 or maybe 75Hz monitor.