144Hz monitor confusion

BeekBeekDan

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
First i want to say that i know that an xbox one cant run at higher than 60 fps. My question is if I get the Asus VG248QE but play it on an xbox one will it actually lag worse since its native hz is 144 and its being forced to downgrade to 60?

When i mean lag i mean in terms of input lag? The reason why I am considering this monitor is because the input lag is supposed to be negligible. Im wondering if that's only when its being run at 144hz or is the input lag going to be negligible even at 60 fps?

BeekBeekDan

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
Well I just want the lowest amount of input lag and all the research i have done seems to say that the asus is the lowest out there. i was just hoping that its that low even when not running at 144hz.

So your saying that a 144hz monitors input lag will be the same even at 60 fps?

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
it’s not worth it for you to buy the VG248QE for use with a OBO/PS4, you will be spending allot of money for features you will not even be using. as far as input lag you will not be able to notice the difference when playing on a OBO/PS4. Are you thinking response time? Like the 1ms GTG? Again when using the OBO/PS4 anything under 8ms will be fine, because of all the motion blur used to give smooth motions for the consoles, you will not see the ghosting like you would when on a mid/high end Gamming rig.

I would go for something like this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236327
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112&leaderboard=1

it will give you a much better image than a tv would, without spending all the extra money for something you will not even benefit from.

oxiide

Distinguished

There's no direct relationship that I know of between refresh rate and input lag.

I don't know if its true that the Xbox One as a platform is limited to any particular framerate. Individual games usually have framerate caps, and you might be surprised to find that many titles run at 30 FPS. So chances are you're already gaming at a different framerate than your refresh rate much of the time.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

BeekBeekDan

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
I mean the time it takes to press a button and for it to happen on my screen. I could care less about ghosting honestly. Im not someone that thinks that graphics and visuals make a game. All i care about is how responsive it will be since im used to an old tube tv.

And I dont care about how much money it costs. The Asus i mentioned is only 250 and has way better input lag then the two you mentioned. Im just wondering if that is only on a high end computer that runs 144hz or is that for any type of refresh rate?

BeekBeekDan

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
Ya i was surprised to see that destiny is only 30fps. Im not huge into that sort of thing though. I just want the fastest monitor from the time i move the joystick to it to happen on my screen. I tried to play halo on my friends monitor and it was so laggy that i couldnt even shoot anyone and thats what I am trying to avoid. Ill gladly spend 250 to be sure.

oxiide

Distinguished

I suspect you're seeing lag from another source and attributing it to the monitor. I don't think any modern LCD panels have such terrible input lag that you'd be noticing it so harshly.

Keep in mind that the games developed for Xbone are built from the ground up around the fact that most users are going to be playing on a television, with all the post-processing and motion blur and input lag that entails. Anything better than that is going to be icing on the cake.

BeekBeekDan

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
I used my xbox and my controller on his tv not online. That's why I contributed the lag to his monitor since there's really no where else it could be from. I just really notice lag I guess.