Question 144hz monitor defective? READ FIRST

Apr 2, 2019
Before everyone jumps in and says, go to windows change refresh rate, go to graphics drivers and change refresh rate and put to gpu, try a different cord, graphics card may not be able to handle it. Dual monitor problem. I have all the latest drives and have tried older drivers. I can promise I have tried absolutely everything.

I was just over at a friends house yesterday. I brought my roomates 144hz monitor with me. Him and I have the same monitor. His is just older. When I started gaming I noticed something I havent seen before. 144hz actually working. I was mind blown. Because I have the same monitor with the same settings and mine has never shown what 144hz is. So Ive tried everything as ive explained earlier. But this time I had my friend and my roomate try my monitor on their computers. No one was able to get 144hz to work, or 120hz. It is a constant 60hz even after changing settings. Can a monitor be defective when it comes to it not going past 60hz when it should be able to go to 144hz?

i7-8700k
ROG Maximus X code
EVGA gtx 1080 ftw2
Gskill Trident Z rgb 3000 / 4x8gb
750w Gold corsair psu
x2 CT500mx 500gb SSD

Monitor - Asus 24" 1080p 144hz (VG248qz)

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So I have a few questions. How do you know your friend's monitor is working correctly but not yours? What monitor does your friend have? Does your Windows tell you that your monitor is capable of 144Hz refresh? Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort?

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Apr 2, 2019
So I have a few questions. How do you know your friend's monitor is working correctly but not yours? What monitor does your friend have? Does your Windows tell you that your monitor is capable of 144Hz refresh? Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort?

Because I was using his monitor. When i Plugged it in and changed the settings to 144hz I SAW 144HZ. When i do it on my monitor i do not see 144hz. They both say 144hz in the settings when you go to change them. My friend has the same model of monitor as me. Windows does tell me both are capable of 144hz. I am using a display port. I used my friends and mine. Out of every combination only the monitor was not working correctly. Ive only had a 144hz panel for about 3 months now. As of yesterday i just saw what a 144hz panel offers.

Plug both your and your roommate's monitors in, side by side, and go through every aspect of the monitor settings menus. Where there are differences between the two, adjust the settings on your monitor to match your roommate's.

Then try your monitor on your computer.

Or, have you already done something like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker
Apr 3, 2019
you can most definitely see 144hz being output by a monitor, just moving the cursor or an application window around it makes a huge difference. All of his settings with windows and nvidia control panel have the monitor set to 144hz using display port from his GPU to the monitor. when you play a game and set its frame rate cap to your native refresh rate, you should be able to see 144hz if the monitor was outputting correctly. However, it only allows a cap of 60 frames within any game you play.. or just being in the desktop and snapping around applications.

Apr 2, 2019
Plug both your and your roommate's monitors in, side by side, and go through every aspect of the monitor settings menus. Where there are differences between the two, adjust the settings on your monitor to match your roommate's.

Then try your monitor on your computer.

Or, have you already done something like this?
Tried that as well. Im going to contact asus and see if i can get a warranty

Apr 2, 2019
You can't SEE 144Hz so I don't get what you even mean. Also the monitor doesn't have any adaptive sync technology, it's just a high refresh rate monitor so you can't even SEE anything.
In all my settings it says i can use 144hz. but when moving my mouse or windows my eyes are seeing 60hz. same with games. But EVERYTHING is set to be 144hz