144hz Monitor for a “Potato” PC?

dullaanees

Commendable
Jan 18, 2018
Hi everyone this is my first thread on formus ever .. (I’ve been always afraid that no will see and or not care about it)
So i have lenovo laptop (notebook) and inside it is a very good CPU and RAM but it has 710m Nvidia Gpu and i can’t upgrade my laptop or buy a new one (for personal reasons pls don’t ask).
It runs Rainbow Six Siege at 45 to 60 fps at 1280x720 which is okay but the issue is the screen is too small to actually play so i want to buy a new monitor and my Qs are
1- My gpu isnt supported by G-Syns so is it worth getting a Monitor with G-Sync?
2- Will a 120hz or 144hz Monitor change anything in terms of smoothness (even a little bit)
3-Will a 120hz or a 144hz Monitor have issues in display considering that i can only run 45 ~ 60 fps ?
4- So do i buy a :
-24” 120~144hz Monitor with G-Sync
-24” 60hz Monitor without G-Sync
Hope u answer the Qs above and help me out here cuz I’m in a real pickle (Riiiick)
*My budget is 450$

Solution
1- My gpu isnt supported by G-Syns so is it worth getting a Monitor with G-Sync?

No, unless in the near future you plan on upgrading or buying a new system that has a Gsync compatible card. Buying Gsync monitor will easily add an extra $100+ to the total cost of the monitor and Gsync wont work without a Gsync enabled GPU.

2- Will a 120hz or 144hz Monitor change anything in terms of smoothness (even a little bit)

Herts at this point wont matter for you as you are not even reaching 60+ fps. So having a high hert monitor wont change anything in terms of your smoothness or FPS. Only reason to consider buying a higher herts monitor, is if you plan on upgrading in the near future to something that can handle over 60+ fps.

3-Will a 120hz...

No, unless in the near future you plan on upgrading or buying a new system that has a Gsync compatible card. Buying Gsync monitor will easily add an extra $100+ to the total cost of the monitor and Gsync wont work without a Gsync enabled GPU.

Herts at this point wont matter for you as you are not even reaching 60+ fps. So having a high hert monitor wont change anything in terms of your smoothness or FPS. Only reason to consider buying a higher herts monitor, is if you plan on upgrading in the near future to something that can handle over 60+ fps.

3-Will a 120hz or a 144hz Monitor have issues in display considering that i can only run 45 ~ 60 fps ?

No issues. If your FPS is under what the refresh rate of the monitor can handle. You shouldn't run into any issues.

4- So do i buy a :
-24” 120~144hz Monitor with G-Sync
-24” 60hz Monitor without G-Sync

In your current situation. I would purchase the 24'' 60herts without Gsync. As you are not going over 60+fps and do not have gsync enabled video card. If you decide to upgrade your system in the near future. Then you may want to think with that in mind and purchase a 144herts wtih Gsync.

Solution
I would recommend just a plain old 1080p 60Hz monitor in whatever size you want.
There is zero reason to spend more money on a monitor when you dont have the hardware to back it.

Save the money, put it towards something more important (new pc, personal expenses, etc)

dullaanees

Commendable
Jan 18, 2018
Thanks to you both you really helped
But I have another Q I play 45~60 FPS in a very GPU-intense game so happy in other games I might get 60~80 FPS so is there a monitor between 60 hz and 144hz ?
And how much is a 24” 1440p Curved Monitor worth? (Not 144hz)