[SOLVED] 144hz monitor for non competitive gaming

Jul 6, 2020
So I purchased my 144hz monitor for competitive gaming, but I also enjoy single player games as well. Games I’ve been playing recently include Hitman 2, The Evil Within 2, and Metro Exodus. I have a pretty decent rig, but I can’t achieve over 144 FPS with the settings on High/Ultra. So I guess my question is what is the best way (smoothest experience) to play single player games?

Solution
So I purchased my 144hz monitor for competitive gaming, but I also enjoy single player games as well. Games I’ve been playing recently include Hitman 2, The Evil Within 2, and Metro Exodus. I have a pretty decent rig, but I can’t achieve over 144 FPS with the settings on High/Ultra. So I guess my question is what is the best way (smoothest experience) to play single player games?

If you can't hit the FPS you want, lower settings or increase your computer specs. You can also cap the FPS, that can smooth things out if you have stuttering. 120 is pretty much as good as 144, and even 100 is very good.
Jul 6, 2020
i play at 90-110 fps, and if i dont get that i lower details till i get it.

90 is where most of the diminishing returns happen, meaning the difference between 90 and 144 is much much smaller than 60 to 90.
I have definitely noticed that earlier today while playing Hitman on ultra. The game would studder when dropped to about 90FPS, do you just change your monitor refresh rate lower in the Nvidia control panel? Or I guess the windows display settings is another way

Jul 6, 2020
Is your RAM definitely running at 3200mhz? What is your gpu usage while in game? 144fps @ 1080p should be possible.
For sure running at 3200MHz
I’m not sure the GPU usage. I don’t have any software to check either. Is having task manager up on my second monitor while playing show me an accurate usage?

If you can't hit the FPS you want, lower settings or increase your computer specs. You can also cap the FPS, that can smooth things out if you have stuttering. 120 is pretty much as good as 144, and even 100 is very good.

Solution
Jul 6, 2020
So if I decide to cap the games FPS via Nvidia Control panel to about 100. Is it necessary to set my monitor refresh rate to 100hz as well?