144hz Monitor Ghosting

deadheaddraven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Hi Everyone

i got a new 144hz Gaming monitor for Christmas (Acer XZ271 27" LED Curved FreeSync Gaming Monitor) and it works perfectly when gaming on my PC via Display Port!

But I also use it to game on my PS4 via HDMI, and that's where I'm having trouble with either ghosting or Blur (not sure which) On normal settings stood still it looks amazing but when I pan the camera all the black edges have this very odd blurry smearing effect on them, if the game is in daylight you can hardly see it but at night or in dark areas it's really bad ! The quicker I more the camera the more it happens

In the settings I've turned Overdrive off which gets rid of the blurring effect but causes massive ghosting ! so i can have either ghosting or blurring and can't find a setting that gets rid of both

People have told me to lock the refresh rate to 60hz which would be fine if I was having problems when playing PC games but you can't select the refresh rate via the monitor or the PS4

Please, anybody, have any ideas with this - it can't be as simple as this monitor cannot deal with 30-60hz inputs, otherwise, there would not be an HDMI to start with

any idea's whats going on and how to stop it

deadheaddraven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015

Surely it can still display HDMI connections properly ! HDMI max refresh is 60hz so it wouldn't be there if it didn't work

Right, but the monitor is always running at 144hz because the PS4 can't tell it not to, because it's not designed to be able to communicate the information, so the monitor is trying to fill in the blank images with what it thinks should be there.

ALTHOUGH!

Since your PC and PS4 are right next to each other, you could use Remote Play to play the PS4 on your desktop:
https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/lang/en/index.html

deadheaddraven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015

First thing I thought dude - i have loads of cables lying around so i have tried 4 different HDMI leads and they are all the same, I also tried these on my standard Samsung HDTV and the picture was normal

it's not the cable or the PS4

I just can't believe Acer would put an HDMI port on a monitor that can't handle HDMI input correctly (i.e 30-60hz) seems insane to me

deadheaddraven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015

I had the same thought - and although this does work the picture quality is kinda rubbish! 720p with a lot of compression artefacts flying aboot

I find remote play is great on the Vita due to its small screen but when on a bigger screen it's just not that nice

As I said before why would Acer put an HDMI on the monitor if it wasn't capable of running HDMI refresh rates (30-60hz)

P.S. thanks for the help - any input or advice is very much appreciated

deadheaddraven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015

I wish I could but there is no option for doing that :-(

I think that's because you control that via PC usually, they possibly didn't think of other devices running on this monitor

but I don't think that's right - my old bog standard Acer monitor runs my PS4 fine so this fancy gaming one should be the same if not better

its driving me mad :-(

deadheaddraven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015

It seems that way but every forum I've read (and I've read loads) when people ask "Will my PS4 work on a 144hz Monitor" the answer is always the same! It Won't make a difference either way

If this was a known problem with games consoles and 144hz PC monitors I'm sure it would be more widely known by now

i can't be the only person who uses his 144hz monitor for both PC and Console gaming

TRENDING THREADS