[SOLVED] 144hz Monitor not showing desired refresh rate.

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
Recently got a new 144hz monitor plugged it in and saw its only running at 60hz.

Went on advanced display setting and it only showed 60hz available. So went to Nvidia control panel, created custom resolution and tested it. It said test succesful do I want to save this resolution. I click yes, but the resolution at 144hz is still not shown as available.

Note: after restarting my pc 100hz is now showing but same problem still for 144hz.

Also I am using display port directly from my GPU. I used the one from my previous monitor and the one that came with the monitor itself aswell. Could it be that I need displayport 1.4 and the cable they provided me with is displayport1.2 . Do I need displayport 1.4 for 3440x1440 at 144hz??

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply but I’ve actually already figured out the problem. I tried it on a different pc with an rtx 2060 and it worked instantly there, no need for control panel. Believe my GPU (gtx 780) is just a bit outdated, was planning on upgrading it soon anyway.
Hmm, you're right. The DP ports on the GTX 780 are v1.2. Even at it's best you'll only get 120Hz. Not bad for a 7 year old GPU but still not ideal for such an epic monitor.

Later this year will be a great time to upgrade!

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
It's unlikely the manufacturer would have provided a lesser cable than the version of the DP port on the monitor. DP v1.2 is capable of up to 120hz at that resolution anyway, so only seeing up to 100hz available leads me to think the issue lies elsewhere. Have you updated drivers etc. to remove any possibility of the issue being with software?

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
It's unlikely the manufacturer would have provided a lesser cable than the version of the DP port on the monitor. DP v1.2 is capable of up to 120hz at that resolution anyway, so only seeing up to 100hz available leads me to think the issue lies elsewhere. Have you updated drivers etc. to remove any possibility of the issue being with software?
Thanks for the reply but I’ve actually already figured out the problem. I tried it on a different pc with an rtx 2060 and it worked instantly there, no need for control panel. Believe my GPU (gtx 780) is just a bit outdated, was planning on upgrading it soon anyway.

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hmm, you're right. The DP ports on the GTX 780 are v1.2. Even at it's best you'll only get 120Hz. Not bad for a 7 year old GPU but still not ideal for such an epic monitor.

Solution

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013

Yeah, was initially going for a 5700xt to upgrade at the same time as the monitor, but decided to wait for either ampere or big navi as I’m hearing big things about them.