Question 144hz monitor only letting me set it to 120hz

effable

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
Hey guys! I have a 144hz viewsonic xg2402 monitor. I connected it to my gaming laptop (asus gl553ve) thru hdmi 1.4 (supports 144hz 100%) and it only lets me do 120hz. i tried setting a custom resolution but when i press 144 the screen goes black and it goes to 59 hz.
ive tried 3 different cables and even a really expensive high quality goldish one and it wont go over 120hz.
pls help

Did you set the timing standard to CVT-RB when setting the custom resolution?

c1vE539.png

why cant it go over 120hz tho :_:
Because Intel sucks with high refresh rate support :p

Most likely their iGPU is limited to 300 MHz TMDS clock over HDMI (enough for 1080p 120 Hz, but 144 Hz requires around 340 MHz), cannot confirm though since they never release such information so I cannot keep up with every new generation. But it would not surprise me as their past generations have had similar limits, like HD 4000 was limited to 225 MHz over HDMI, only about 2/3 the maximum allowed by the HDMI spec.

Reactions: Kenton82
Part of your issue is that you are on a laptop, laptops do not act the same way with their displays and ports as standard desktop video cards. You have a hardware and software limitation on it. You can contact the laptop support and see if they have anything you can do, at times there are beta or special BIOS and driver versions that are not released publicly unless someone calls in with a specific issue. But it's not likely in your case, if you really want to use a high refresh system, a desktop is the best way to go along with Display Port or dual link DVI cable.