[SOLVED] 144Hz monitor or SSD (for gaming)

johanzy

Prominent
Dec 9, 2018
Hey,
As the title says I'm wondering if I should buy a 144Hz monitor (Acer Nitro VG240YPbiip) or SSD (500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2).
These are my specifications:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7770
GPU: ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1050Ti O4G GAMING
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS H110M-A/M.2
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 2400MHz Team Delta White
HDD: 1TB 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda Guardian

I'm mostly playing games like League of Legends, Rocket League and not AAA titles. I currently don't have SSD which is kind of must-have in 2020 even though I don't edit or something like that but it makes my PC faster. On the other hand, I've played on my friend's 144Hz monitor and it just looks so smooth like butter. So what do you guys think?

Solution
144Hz is nice to have if the graphics card is capable of pushing 100fps+. Im not sure how a 1050Ti would perform under the settings you have currently but I'd imagine it wouldn't be suitable.

Ssd helps with loading levels and assets on the fly and quickens general PC use. They're good to work with.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
144Hz is nice to have if the graphics card is capable of pushing 100fps+. Im not sure how a 1050Ti would perform under the settings you have currently but I'd imagine it wouldn't be suitable.

Ssd helps with loading levels and assets on the fly and quickens general PC use. They're good to work with.

Reactions: johanzy
Solution
Even if only getting 60fps a 144Hz will still be smoother just you won’t get the full potential unless pushing 100+ FPS. I’d still pick the monitor before the SSD. The games you list are not ones that show any in game benefit from an SSD, only improves load times but that doesn’t help actual gameplay.

Reactions: johanzy