144hz monitor reverting back to 60hz on start up.

sampson0693

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
I have a benq xl2411z 144hz monitor.

When i go into the screen resolution from windows or through the nvidia control panel I can set the refresh rate to 144hz. When set it works fine and looks great. However, when I next start my computer after a shut down the screeen has reset to 60hz?? Surely I dont have to go into the setting everytime??

I am using a DVI-D cable and all works fine when set properly. I am just hoping there is something else i can set to make it stay at 144hz?

Solution
Try following. Uninstall Catalyst/Nvidia drivers, run Treexy Driver Fusion, and remove Catalyst/Nvidia software remnants. Restart computer, let it install VGA driver. Install new Catalyst/Nvidia drivers, perform clean install at both.
One important question. When You play games, how's the refresh rate? Not sure about this, but pretty much what I've seen so far, gaming LCDs run at 60 Hz in Windows, and while playing games, they run higher, due fact that 144 Hz is significantly lowering life span of pixels, well, it includes the 2-6 years warranty You have from the manufacturer of course.

sampson0693

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014

No, I originally thought that might be the case but it doesn't. It just happily stays at 60 until I tell it otherwise??

Try following. Uninstall Catalyst/Nvidia drivers, run Treexy Driver Fusion, and remove Catalyst/Nvidia software remnants. Restart computer, let it install VGA driver. Install new Catalyst/Nvidia drivers, perform clean install at both.

Solution

sampson0693

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014

Thanks for your advice... Didn't get that far, turns out it was "Display Pilot" software that come with the monitor... I couldnt set that to 144hz standard so on start up it was taking over and putting the screen to 60... Uninstalled and everything is fine now...

Thanks,