Question 144Hz monitor set to 60Hz should look the same as native 60Hz monitor?

Apr 21, 2019
Hi guys! Sorry if it's a trivial question, I just bought my first ever 144Hz monitor and tried to see whether if I manually set it to 60Hz it'd be just like my old dispay that was natively capped at 60Hz, and as it turned out it's very laggy, stuttering even when looking just at the desktop without any programs running. In games it feels like playing at ~24FPS felt on my old display. I don't know if this is normal or my new monitor has a defect. I still have a few days to return it to the store if it turns out this isn't what it's supposed to be like.

Apr 21, 2019
I've never had a 144Hz display nor anything with freesync before (never had to deal with screen tearing before actually) so I wanted to try something: from what I'd read what freesync does is match the refresh rate of the display to the render rate of the GPU to eliminate tearing. My new monitor hasn't got the widest freesync range (70-144) so I wanted to see what'd happen if I manually set the refresh rate to 60Hz, and launched a game that runs at a stable 60 FPS, would it be smooth or not. As it turned out it's a lot worse, constantly stuttering. I'm not sure if this was to be expected?

Hi guys! Sorry if it's a trivial question, I just bought my first ever 144Hz monitor and tried to see whether if I manually set it to 60Hz it'd be just like my old dispay that was natively capped at 60Hz, and as it turned out it's very laggy, stuttering even when looking just at the desktop without any programs running. In games it feels like playing at ~24FPS felt on my old display. I don't know if this is normal or my new monitor has a defect. I still have a few days to return it to the store if it turns out this isn't what it's supposed to be like.
Sometimes it just looks that way after you've gotte used to 144 Hz can you pull out your old monitor and see if it still looks as smooth as you remember?

Apr 21, 2019
Sometimes it just looks that way after you've gotte used to 144 Hz can you pull out your old monitor and see if it still looks as smooth as you remember?
I can definitely tell the difference between 144Hz and 60Hz (I also have a laptop that runs at 60Hz so I can directly compare them too). Changing the refresh rate of the 144Hz monitor to 60Hz though looks nothing like a native 60Hz display. It's extremely laggy, like the cursor is teleporting around. I take it it's not supposed to be like this then. :s

Apr 21, 2019
Right click your desktop click Nvidia control panel and set your 144HZ from there. Should be under Change resolution and select your 144 HZ preferred rate
I can change the refresh rate, I just don't know whether it's normal that the 144Hz display set to 60Hz looks absolutely nothing like a native 60Hz monitor. It's stuttering like hell.

Apr 21, 2019
I can change the refresh rate, I just don't know whether it's normal that the 144Hz display set to 60Hz looks absolutely nothing like a native 60Hz monitor. It's stuttering like hell.
Sounds like a defect within its 60HZ range. Return it for a better version or its possibly your GPU not being able to handle any 60 HZ monitor.

Reactions: macihun93