[SOLVED] 144hz monitor shows 144hz on UFO Test, locked at 60hz in games

marauder144

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
I did a lot of googling and looking on this forum but I didn't notice anyone with my exact issue. I solved this problem initially but then it came back and I now I can't fix it. When I run TestUFO in Firefox, I get 144hz. Whenever I run games, I am capped at 60 - 65 hz.

I purchased this monitor recently: https://www.newegg.com/dark-blue-gr...0-31-5/p/N82E16824022735?Item=N82E16824022735. I reviewed the manual and this monitor supports 1440p at 144hz with the HDMI cable included. I have a EVGA GTX 1070 and an i5-6600K overclocked to 4.5ghz.

In the nVidia control panel, my resolution is set to 2560 x 1440, 144hz. In 3D settings, I set power management mode to "prefer maximum performance", preferred refresh rate to "highest available" and v sync to "off". I also always confirm vsync is off in-game.

The solution I found initially was to download and run https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html. This is a Driver Uninstaller. I ran it and restarted and then downloaded GeForce Experience to get the newest drivers. This worked and I could play games in 144z, however, I found that if I used GeForce Experience to auto-optimize my games, it would lock it back at 60hz and I had to redo the process. I redid it and was playing in 144hz for a few days but all of sudden I got locked back at 60hz yesterday. I tried doing my solution again but it didn't work. I tried installing the drivers directly from nVidia's website instead of through GeForce but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Is my graphics card bad? I never had any issues with 1080p 60hz. Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? I am not super familiar with bottlenecking so I don't know if that could be it.

Thanks all.

marauder144

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
Yeah i see. I couldn't guess but might imagine something you're running 'recording' wise that's restricting your fps rate - even if not recording at that instant, the effect may still me present.
I checked my task manager and noticed something called "Checkpoint Forensic Recorder" running. Checkpoint is the company that makes ZoneAlarm Firewall, which I had. I uninstalled it, then I did my driver restart and installed new drivers. This fixed it briefly as I played GTA V at 80-100 FPS for a little. I restarted my computer and I got locked back at 60 hz.

I am not running any other recorder that I am aware of unless one is automatically starting for some reason and I am not noticing it in the task manager.

Last edited:

marauder144

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
So right now, every time I want to play games above 60hz, I have to uninstall the graphics drivers and then reinstall them. Every time I restart my computer it reverts back to 60hz.

Any ideas?