144hz Monitor Stuck At 60FPS

Sep 29, 2018
Hello! So recently I downloaded the 1.13.1 update for Minecraft. While playing I noticed that even though my FPS counter states I'm at 144fps, I can tell its still only refreshing at a 60hz rate. Fortnite, COD, PUBG, even Minecraft 1.12.2 (and prior updates) all play AND refresh at a 144hz but for some reason I am stuck. I have uninstalled the game on my C drive, and reinstalled on my D to see if it would resolve but I still have the same issue. I attached screenshots of my settings to clarify. I am using a display port cable from my 980TI to an ASUS VG248QE (144hz) monitor and the display is running at 1920x1080 / 144hz. The odd thing is my GF is running 1.13.1 on the same monitor but with a 1080/7700K set up and she still gets 144hz on her monitor, and I can clearly see the difference because our screens are side by side. We are both running the same drivers from Nvidia as well, which is the current and most recent. I just want to clarify that 1.13.(1) is the ONLY version of MC that does this. No other game or version on my rig has this issue. Not really sure to do here anymore haha! Thanks for your help in advance.

TL;DR - Game says its playing at 144fps when its really stuck at 60fps. Halp

NVidia Control Panel: https://imgur.com/PKKWgc0
Minecraft FPS (1.13.1): https://imgur.com/AKupIcn
Minecraft FPS (1.12.2): https://imgur.com/2cvGcv9

Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus
CPU: I7-5820K
GPU: MSI GTX 980TI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz

Solution

Try using another DisplayPort instead of the HDMI. For the most part, 144Hz monitors will not...
Sep 29, 2018

The monitor itself is at 144hz, its specifically in regards to MC version 1.13.1 that gets capped at 60, even with the frame counter saying it is at 144. My Asus is my main monitor, as the "elgato" you see on the second monitor is actually just an hdmi out to my capture card for my streaming PC. The Asus is always the primary screen.

Sep 29, 2018

Just did that and it didn't seem to fix it. I find it strange that when I F11 to windowed mode my FPS counter says 60 even though no settings have changed, and when I go back to full screen via F11 the FPS counter stays at 60 for a few seconds then spins back up to 144 even though nothing has changed. I have both Fraps and the in game F3 debugging running and they both do the same thing. Thoughts?? Its acting as if the windowed mode is capping. I have had this issue where windowed full screen caps me at 60. Could it be the game thinks that 1.13.1 is running windowed full even though its not?

Sep 29, 2018
So I have figured it out. I have a Display Port cable to my 144hz monitor, and an HDMI out to my Elgato HD60 Pro capture card. Both cables are coming out of out of my 980Ti. When I unplugged my HDMI cable from the 980Ti my game went to a refresh of 144 too. So my main display is running at 144, and in windows I have it set to duplicate the screen for the displayport and HDMI. I find it odd that 1.12.2 has no issues with the duplication and will continually run at 144 but 1.13.1 will not! HAH finally figured this nonsense out. Now to see if I can figure out a work around. I guess thats just a 1.13.1 bug! Hopefully optifine will fix this.

Try using another DisplayPort instead of the HDMI. For the most part, 144Hz monitors will not run on HDMI at 144Hz (with a few exceptions). Dual link DVI-D will work too.

Solution