144hz monitor stuttering with R9 280

MaxTehLegend

Honorable
Nov 20, 2015
I'm currently using my backup GPU the R9 280 as my Titan X has broke and I've noticed a significant difference when gaming and when watching youtube videos. I thought that it was just because i was getting less FPS but i launched blur busters strobe utility and its saying otherwise. i remember when i was using my Titan X with this monitor the spaceships would slide very smoothly across my screen and i could tell the difference when changing the refresh rate of my monitor every time. but with my R9 280 at 144hz its a complete mess and stutters very hard and looks like its running at 60hz. when lowering my refresh rate to 120hz it barely stutters but it still happens. is there a fix for this?

Solution
Does the problem go away with a fresh driver install?

Make sure the intergrated graphics are turned off in BIOS. Had this happening with my PC after installing a new GPU, it would lag even on the desktop after I restarted, only fix was to reinstall drivers, but the problem would come back after restarting. Disabled the onboard graphics in the BIOS and it fixed it.

MaxTehLegend

Honorable
Nov 20, 2015

yes i know i've done that already. i've already used DDU uninstaller and the problem still persists

hmmmm....let see if we can get more ideas...
energy setting already set to performance and not to energy saving?
turn off VSync
lower the in game settings and perhaps also the resolution, I think Titan X (even the old one) should be a lot more powerful than R9 280.

MaxTehLegend

Honorable
Nov 20, 2015

yep i know. i also know that Vsync would give me more input lag and yes my energy setting is set to performance. i've lowered every setting to low in rainbow six siege and i have lowered the resolution to 720p (which is unbareable but more than playable) to get rid of my input lag but if im stuttering in blur busters app then there something going on and not just the powerside of things that are increasing my input lag and i dont know what it is.

Jul 6, 2018
Does the problem go away with a fresh driver install?

Make sure the intergrated graphics are turned off in BIOS. Had this happening with my PC after installing a new GPU, it would lag even on the desktop after I restarted, only fix was to reinstall drivers, but the problem would come back after restarting. Disabled the onboard graphics in the BIOS and it fixed it.

Solution