[SOLVED] 144hz monitor with hdmi and dp

reineo

Prominent
Oct 27, 2019
i'm about to buy a cheap 144hz monitor but my graphic card only have dvi port, and the monitor have hdmi and dp . I'm asking if any port can change to hdmi or dp but the shop say it doesnt work cause my gpu only have dvi, still can use the port to change but its will cant run at 144hz, is that true?

Solution
I dont really understand those opstions
Out of curiosity, which part didn't you understand?

Just read the table of contents, and you will see two sections which are the exact thing that you are asking about, adapters for connecting to DP and HDMI displays:
TpjTh94.png

Let's check each one. If we scroll to section 3.4, you will see several connection options:
c5xJsFh.png
DVI to DisplayPort is the one you are looking for. If you expand that, it says:
DVI to DisplayPort adapters are very uncommon, and there are currently none that support more than 1080p 60 Hz (last checked: March 2019). Therefore, there is no way to connect a DVI computer to a DisplayPort...
I dont really understand those opstions
Out of curiosity, which part didn't you understand?

Just read the table of contents, and you will see two sections which are the exact thing that you are asking about, adapters for connecting to DP and HDMI displays:
TpjTh94.png

Let's check each one. If we scroll to section 3.4, you will see several connection options:
c5xJsFh.png
DVI to DisplayPort is the one you are looking for. If you expand that, it says:
DVI to DisplayPort adapters are very uncommon, and there are currently none that support more than 1080p 60 Hz (last checked: March 2019). Therefore, there is no way to connect a DVI computer to a DisplayPort display at 120+ Hz.

If you then go back to the table of contents and check the second option, adapters for connecting to an HDMI display. That's section 5.5. So we scroll down to section 5.5, and we see:
rTNcYdS.png
DVI to HDMI is what we are interested in. If we open that up, it says:
If your computer has a DVI port, you can use a standard inexpensive DVI-HDMI passive adapter/cable up to 144 Hz at 1080p or 60 Hz at 1440p.
So that will work. However, there is also a giant warning in red text that says it will only work if the monitor supports 120 Hz over HDMI, and that you should check the list in section 7.1 to find out if your monitor does. So go to section 7.1, and if your monitor model is listed, then you can use a DVI to HDMI adapter to get 1080p 144 Hz.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS