144hz Monitor without G-SYNC - worth it?

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz-1m

I'm looking to get the above monitor alongside an ASUS GTX 1060 6GB GPU. Unfortunately it does not support g-sync and i've gone for something affordable. Is it pointless getting a 144hz monitor without g-sync or will i see significant improvements without g-sync?

If anyone owns one of these, have you experienced any problems with screen flickering? I don't wanna end up with headaches.

My partpicker list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hqVjgL

Solution
I have a 144hz screen without G-Sync. Personally, I haven't ever noticed the "mismatch" that occurs sometimes when I am playing games @80fps when I am 144hz. I really don't think that G-Sync is necessary at all. It's amazing though to be able to see things at a higher frame rate.
I haven't used Gsync myself, so can't comment from personal experience, but from everything I've read the benefits of Gsync are much more tangible at lower frame rates. Once you get to and over 100 fps, GSync is much less useful and tearing is less likely. It's not impossible, of course, but the higher frame rates make it less of an issue. If you're intending to adjust your detail settings down a bit on demanding games so you're pushing 90-100 fps or more at most times, I think the benefits of Gsync are a much tougher case to make. If, on the other hand, you'd prefer to play on ultra with lower frame rates, then GSync would offer you a lot more.

Having said all that, the lowly GTX 1060 looks really out of place in your otherwise extremely high end build. You only need like an extra 140GBP to shift to a decent 1070, which will give you a massive performance boost. You could actually get there pretty easily even with your current budget just by dropping to a decent but still capable 550W PSU (like the CX550M), dropping a few fans and picking up a cheaper mobo. Another option would be to drop to a 250GB SSD to save a few pennies. There are plenty of places you can shave money without having a big impact on performance.

I'm happy to propose a build for you if that's something you're interested in.

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015

lol without whipped cream a decent 1080p pie is costing around £200 whereas with whipped cream its only around £30 more. The question is, is whipped cream for 30 quid on top worth it?

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015

Thanks bro! All over the net im getting recommended the 1070/1080, even my mates say the same. I thought because I wasn't a big gamer i'd stick with 1060 but I admit i was tempted to go bigger and better the whole time. I've gone ahead and finally added the 1070 gpu.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LIVE_AMMO/saved/ZT3BmG

Yes I would appreciate if you could build one for a comparison.
Just a couple of notes:
1. Would need 500gig SSD + the 1TB hdd
2. Purpose of use: Basic photoshop for editing images, video converting, regular office applications and gaming. This will be my work PC + gaming
3. I want to stick with the same case + krakn x52/x62 cooler - just love the look of the pump head.
4. Case/peripheral/component theme: Black and white
5. I should mention i went for a wifi adapter included mobo, if you suggest otherwise, please add wifi card too

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

powercroat783

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I have a 144hz screen without G-Sync. Personally, I haven't ever noticed the "mismatch" that occurs sometimes when I am playing games @80fps when I am 144hz. I really don't think that G-Sync is necessary at all. It's amazing though to be able to see things at a higher frame rate.

Solution