144hz monitors and video playback question

Screwby

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Hey guys,

Bought a BenQ XL2411Z 144hz monitor recently, love it for gaming, but colors... meh. Anyway, I noticed that when watching Youtube videos or Netflix, the playback is not the same as when watching shows/Netflix on a 120hz HDTV. I thought it would have the same affect but I guess not? Is it because the monitor takes raw input, while TV's interpolate frames?

Solution
Correct you are. The monitor doesn't alter content you are viewing. The T.V. on the other hand applies a process called motion smoothing. All that does is predict missing frame's movement so they appear to be running at a higher frame rate.

Frankly, I find it very annoying. It makes movement look unnatural and gives everything the same, overly smoothing feeling.
Correct you are. The monitor doesn't alter content you are viewing. The T.V. on the other hand applies a process called motion smoothing. All that does is predict missing frame's movement so they appear to be running at a higher frame rate.

Frankly, I find it very annoying. It makes movement look unnatural and gives everything the same, overly smoothing feeling.

Solution

Screwby

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Well, that kind of sucks.. :p I actually like that effect. I know a lot of people that don't like the soap opera effect, but I actually like the motion clarity.. If I had an HDTV 120hz as a monitor, would it be the same then? Or still just display raw input?

It should work the same on the PC. It works on the consoles as well.