144hz or 60hz monitor for 970 1080p max settings w/o shadows

latteagain

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Hello, I apologize if I'm new to this.

I'm almost done with my first computer build and just finalizing to order the last few parts especially the monitor.

I recently received my MSI 970 and was wondering if I should aim to buy a Asus VG248QE 24.0" monitor or just aim for a cheaper 60hz monitor to make the most of the 970's potential. I can play competitively with the latest FPS games but not on that tourney level to why I'm considering a 60hz monitor.

Will it be worth it to go for a 144hz monitor knowing that I won't even make the most out of the 144hz when it comes to fps or just the 60hz for now?

Additional note: I plan on upgrading my system later on from ITX to an ATX but not within 6 months to a year.

Thanks for the readers.

Going off what qubits is saying, having the 144Hz monitor does help to eliminate the vSync issue, at least up to that 144fps point. vSync does cause input lag if you can't bear with that. I can say that I don't really enjoy some of my games as much as I would like because of the 60fps thing and then the vSync input lag.

I feel that in most games, you won't really see that 144Hz actually be there, especially if you plan on maxing out games. Maybe you'll be able to see it more in the older games, but the newer, more recent games, you won't really see a huge difference. Games based on an older engine or better optimized, you might be able to see the 144Hz more. It all really depends on what you're playing. For your case, playing fps games competitively, that 144Hz monitor would probably give you a better experience than the 60Hz.

Something i have come across a lot recently with 144hz monitors combined with vsync can cause stuttering, as when fps drops below 144fps it shifts right down to 70fps. Such a big drop causes stuttering with the graphics card and in the game engine. So you will have to accept to turn vsync off and live with a bit of screen tearing (which im told isnt so bad with high fps on a 144hz monitor). Alternatively look for a gsync monitor if you can afford it.

latteagain

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Thanks guys for all of the informative answers. I found a reasonable G-Sync monitor for my budget. Does anyone have any opinion on this one?

*http://www.microcenter.com/product/438178/G2460PG_24_3D_HD_G-Sync_LED_Gaming_Monitor

Or would you care to suggest any?

Also, how is the gsync monitor when it comes to FPS?

gridironcj

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

I'm not familiar with that brand, so I can't comment on the quality. If you're going for G-sync, the best option (regardless of price) is the ROG Swift. It's a 2560x1440 144Hz G-sync & ULMB monitor (the only monitor on the market with all of these features). There is a 4K G-sync monitor available, but it's only 60Hz (not that 144Hz would be beneficial anyways, considering 4K is extremely demanding). The ROG Swift is $799.99 retail, so it's not cheap. I've been using one since August 2014 and I can say that G-sync is a fantastic experience depending on the game. For something like Far Cry 4, G-sync won't fix the stuttering, as the stuttering is a structural issue with the game itself. 2560x1440 is a bit more demanding than 1920x1080, but if you plan on SLI'ing with another 970, it'd be a great option. Above 100FPS at that resolution with SLI 970s is doable in many games (Battlefield 4 being one of them).