144hz or Oculus Rift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017
I'm having a hard time deciding what to get with all of the sales, and I know this post is kind of silly. I would like some help on deciding what to get. I feel like I would get a lot of enjoyment out of VR (for a while), but for like the 10 games I'll have and DOOM, Fallout 4 being vive exclusives I don't think it will be fun after a few months. With the 144hz monitor I will be able to play all of the fast paced games and competitive games (I don't play anymore) without screen tearing. I'm sorry for writing up such an annoying post...

Solution
Doom and Fallout 4 will almost certainly work with the Oculus Rift. They are still SteamVR games, Zenimax just doesn't want to say they support a device from a company they're suing.

As for the choice, it's a tough one. The experience changes a heck of a lot more with a VR headset than a monitor, but then again the monitor can be used for everything. 144Hz won't be much of an improvement in non-gaming tasks though, but it's nice for fast-paced games.
Doom and Fallout 4 will almost certainly work with the Oculus Rift. They are still SteamVR games, Zenimax just doesn't want to say they support a device from a company they're suing.

As for the choice, it's a tough one. The experience changes a heck of a lot more with a VR headset than a monitor, but then again the monitor can be used for everything. 144Hz won't be much of an improvement in non-gaming tasks though, but it's nice for fast-paced games.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
So I was able to try Doom VFR and nope, as of right now it doesn't work. It goes through the startup and as soon as your about to load into the main menu it boots you out to Steam VR... I am so disappointed by this which probably means Skyrim won't be playable either. There's some news on this as well.
https://uploadvr.com/doom-vfr-oclus-rift-wont-work-launch/

Valve pushed a SteamVR patch that makes it work.

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017

Can I play any vive games with the oculus rift?

You can https://uploadvr.com/play-steamvr-rift-touch/ You could also play Rift games on the Vive https://www.vrheads.com/how-play-oculus-rift-games-htc-vive.

What happens when you hear something in the real world and you just want to take a quick look? You quickly lift up the headset and take a peek of course!!! Not so with the Vive. Push a button and Vive's integrated camera shows you the real world. What happens if the space from the lenses( which will never ever ever ever ever in life face the sun because they can be quickly die of massive internal burns due to the lenses acting like magnifying glasses) to your eyes results in something still being slightly off? Forward and backwards the lenses slide on the Vive and the Rift. Can't really put your finger on it. Oh well. You'll get used to it.
Kate+Moss-1401979.jpg
and
sarah-jessica-parker-close+set+eyes.jpg
will have different experiences. With Vive's IPD adjustment the Vive can be personalized just that much more.

You know, I've been sitting down since I played Pong over 30 years ago. I was sitting down for FF7. I was sitting down for Mario Tennis. I was sitting down for Skyrim. A few dance, music and track and field games got me up and moving. Give me a chance of getting off my posterior and I will, without a doubt choose VR. And more specifically I will choose the Vive for the aforementioned and other reasons such as the face pads and the changes I can make. I've seen an insane amount of comparative and or just Vive or Rift or PSVR or M$ VR or or or or videos. People who have been on it for months or over a year are still enjoying the experience.

VR's landscape is also constantly morphing. Developers seem to be so much more invested in their games and how their audience wants them to grow and evolve. VR is such a young babe. It's barely walking but what it can do right now is not something I would foresee me getting bored with so very soon. I do plan on buying a VR system. The entire "project" will cost about $2000. Not an amount I can really aford nor is it an amount I would throw at a fad.

Six months or a year down the road and I can buy another or a different monitor/TV. There's that cherry on the top, I'm never going back to 60 Hz TN panel. It's a big step. It's not one I would chose before VR.

Yes, barring temporary issues like with Doom VFR.

Status
Not open for further replies.