[SOLVED] 144hz recommendation

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Hello! My 60hz monitor just died and I'm looking for a 1080p 144hz monitor. Need a budget one with pretty decent brightness since my setup is next to the window. My budget is not a lot 150-190. I kind of need one quick since I got important things to do in my computer. Forgot to say that I play a lot of survival games where at night it's very dark and you can barely see. You're unable to turn the brightness or gamma in-game since it would be an advantage so I would also like a monitor that would help me in that. I know i'm asking for too much but I'm just hoping there's one out there.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm just hoping there's one out there.

There are several. Take your pick,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#X=0,19100&r=192001080&D=144000,360000&sort=price&page=1

The main diff between them all, is panel type. There are 3x kinds of monitor panels: TN, VA and IPS. Actually there are more (variations of the main three) but i focus on these main ones.

TN panel is oldest of the three and also cheapest. Where TN panel excels is it's performance, most notably response time (1ms).
Though, TN panel also has it's downsides. Prominent ones are: poor color accuracy (washed out colors), very narrow view angle and poor contrast ratio (max 1000:1).

Gaming wise, TN panel monitor is best suited for fast-paced games...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm just hoping there's one out there.

pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#X=0,19100&r=192001080&D=144000,360000&sort=price&page=1

The main diff between them all, is panel type. There are 3x kinds of monitor panels: TN, VA and IPS. Actually there are more (variations of the main three) but i focus on these main ones.

TN panel is oldest of the three and also cheapest. Where TN panel excels is it's performance, most notably response time (1ms).
Though, TN panel also has it's downsides. Prominent ones are: poor color accuracy (washed out colors), very narrow view angle and poor contrast ratio (max 1000:1).

Gaming wise, TN panel monitor is best suited for fast-paced games (FPS, racing etc), where you don't care as much about pretty colors as you do about smoothness of movements.

IPS panel has been around for some time and is also the most expensive of the three.
Where IPS panel excels is it's color accuracy, which is the best of the three. Also, it has widest viewing angles of the three.
But where IPS panel falls short is response time. IPS technology by design can't be any faster than 4ms (compared to the 1ms most TN panels are). Another area where IPS panel falls short is it's poor contrast ratio which is equal to a TN panel (max 1000:1), despite it's great color accuracy. This is most prominent when looking at black image and where black isn't black but instead gray or some form of blue. Refresh rates aren't IPS panel strong side either and many IPS panels are 60Hz, especially on higher resolutions. There are some 1440p 165Hz and 4K 120Hz IPS panel monitors out there but they are few and far apart, also costing a fortune.

Gaming wise, IPS panel monitor is best suited for slow-paced games (RPG, strategy etc), where you have time to see all those pretty colors and where smoothness of movements isn't that important.

VA panel is the newest of the three and price wise, it falls between TN and IPS. VA panel was created to take the best of both worlds (TN and IPS) and combine them.
Where VA panel excels is it's contrast ratio (min 3000:1), where you'd see the deepest and richest blacks. Also, it doesn't fall short on other aspects as well. VA panel color accuracy isn't as good as it is for IPS panel but it's close to the levels of IPS panel (considerably better than TN panel). It's viewing angle is also a notch smaller than that of an IPS panel but again, considerably better than that of a TN panel. Refresh rate wise, VA panel is more capable on different resolutions than IPS panel. Response time is another area where VA panel does good. While VA panel can't naturally be any faster than 4ms (just like IPS panel), it can achieve the magical 1ms response thanks to the software solution in it.
With VA panel monitors making waves lately, there aren't any major downsides of them. Availability used to be issue but not anymore.

Gaming wise, VA panel monitor is suited for all kinds of games. VA panel is like Jack of all trades but master of none.

Normally, i'd suggest VA panel monitor (have one for myself, MSI Optix MAG241CR) but since you play survival games and want to "cheat" your way through the nights, VA panel will make nights as dark as they are supposed to be. So, i suggest looking towards IPS panel instead, with poor contrast ratio (so you can see in the dark better), while having pretty colors.

Here are 2x more IPS panel monitors that aren't covered in above link;
Asus: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083FMP35T
Spectre: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088VMY23M

Reactions: Nonkii
Solution

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

Gaming wise, TN panel monitor is best suited for fast-paced games (FPS, racing etc), where you don't care as much about pretty colors as you do about smoothness of movements.

IPS panel has been around for some time and is also the most expensive of the three.
Where IPS panel excels is it's color accuracy, which is the best of the three. Also, it has widest viewing angles of the three.
But where IPS panel falls short is response time. IPS technology by design can't be any faster than 4ms (compared to the 1ms most TN panels are). Another area where IPS panel falls short is it's poor contrast ratio which is equal to a TN panel (max 1000:1), despite it's great color accuracy. This is most prominent when looking at black image and where black isn't black but instead gray or some form of blue. Refresh rates aren't IPS panel strong side either and many IPS panels are 60Hz, especially on higher resolutions. There are some 1440p 165Hz and 4K 120Hz IPS panel monitors out there but they are few and far apart, also costing a fortune.

Gaming wise, IPS panel monitor is best suited for slow-paced games (RPG, strategy etc), where you have time to see all those pretty colors and where smoothness of movements isn't that important.

VA panel is the newest of the three and price wise, it falls between TN and IPS. VA panel was created to take the best of both worlds (TN and IPS) and combine them.
Where VA panel excels is it's contrast ratio (min 3000:1), where you'd see the deepest and richest blacks. Also, it doesn't fall short on other aspects as well. VA panel color accuracy isn't as good as it is for IPS panel but it's close to the levels of IPS panel (considerably better than TN panel). It's viewing angle is also a notch smaller than that of an IPS panel but again, considerably better than that of a TN panel. Refresh rate wise, VA panel is more capable on different resolutions than IPS panel. Response time is another area where VA panel does good. While VA panel can't naturally be any faster than 4ms (just like IPS panel), it can achieve the magical 1ms response thanks to the software solution in it.
With VA panel monitors making waves lately, there aren't any major downsides of them. Availability used to be issue but not anymore.

Gaming wise, VA panel monitor is suited for all kinds of games. VA panel is like Jack of all trades but master of none.

Normally, i'd suggest VA panel monitor (have one for myself, MSI Optix MAG241CR) but since you play survival games and want to "cheat" your way through the nights, VA panel will make nights as dark as they are supposed to be. So, i suggest looking towards IPS panel instead, with poor contrast ratio (so you can see in the dark better), while having pretty colors.

Thanks a lot. I owe you one. I do hear that sceptre monitors are bad quality or something like that though. Never heard of that asus one that you sent but looks very promising.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

Thanks a lot. I owe you one. I do hear that sceptre monitors are bad quality or something like that though. Never heard of that asus one that you sent but looks very promising.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the g1 is a va panel and the g2 is an ips. other than that i am not sure of any differences.

i have the g1 and love it. i am no expert but i can't find anything to complain about, especially considering i got it for $159 on sale mid summer. :) i just assume the g2 is an update and probably a bit better, but that's only a guess. i've not read any reviews of it or anything since i am not in the market for one.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
the g1 is a va panel and the g2 is an ips. other than that i am not sure of any differences.

i have the g1 and love it. i am no expert but i can't find anything to complain about, especially considering i got it for $159 on sale mid summer. :) i just assume the g2 is an update and probably a bit better, but that's only a guess. i've not read any reviews of it or anything since i am not in the market for one.
Gotcha. Sorry for the questions, but did you change the settings in the monitor after getting it?

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
You're welcome.

Though, you didn't specify which brands to include/exclude, so, i gave all i found. Also, there's one Acer IPS panel monitor in pcpp (if you didn't look that yet).
Oh that's my bad. The monitor that just brone was an acer and I don't regret my purchase although that's the only acer product I've ever bought. I missed your reply, sorry.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i changed the settings to what i found in a review. wasn't a lot of change but i followed what they said. not sure which review it was now since it been a while. it looked good to me out of the box other than the brightness being pretty high. the rest made minimal difference to my untrained eye

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
i changed the settings to what i found in a review. wasn't a lot of change but i followed what they said. not sure which review it was now since it been a while. it looked good to me out of the box other than the brightness being pretty high. the rest made minimal difference to my untrained eye
Alright. Thanks a ton!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
and as a side note, the curve is not that big of a deal so far to me. it's neat looking but i don't see any major difference. the only time notice anymore is when i look to the right at the flat second screen. sitting side by side you can tell the difference. but when only using the 1 screen it's not such a big deal though you can tell it is curved for sure.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
and as a side note, the curve is not that big of a deal so far to me. it's neat looking but i don't see any major difference. the only time notice anymore is when i look to the right at the flat second screen. sitting side by side you can tell the difference. but when only using the 1 screen it's not such a big deal though you can tell it is curved for sure.
Yea, I was worrying about that since I'm not a big fan of curved monitors.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
You're welcome.

Though, you didn't specify which brands to include/exclude, so, i gave all i found. Also, there's one Acer IPS panel monitor in pcpp (if you didn't look that yet).
It seems I lucked out. The asus one you showed me is at 160 bucks on microcenter! Getting it tomorrow or monday. Thanks again