144hz tn vs ips

Seth_11

Commendable
May 11, 2016
I recently upgraded my monitor to the acer gn246hl but after using it for a few days returned it due to major ghosting issues that could not be fixed in the osd. I then bought the viewsonic xg2401 and it is miles ahead of the acer in terms of features and build quality. I was in best buy a few days after I bought the monitor and had a chance to look around and I saw some ips displays and man do they look good. I then started to question my purchase of the viewsonic. I have never owned or even seen and ips display in person until I saw it at best buy and I never even though about purchasing one until I saw it in person. I use my computer for casual gaming and watching youtube and school work. I'm not a competitive gamer by any means and play games such as bf1 and tw3 etc. once I went 144hz using a 60hz display felt horrible and slow. So my question is should I return my viewsonic for an ips diplay. I really enjoy the smoothness of the 144hz even when running games at around 80-90fps it is noticeable to me. Is the picture quality of an ips worth it over 144hz? will a 75hz ips still feel smoother than a 60hz? I'm just having a really hard time deciding, and no I can't afford those 1440p 165hz ips displays they are way out of my budget.

Solution
I have seen multiple ips that are worse gamut than tn, so ips is not always better. There is so much overlap with panels since they've been around and developed for cheaper and for the better. You just don't know if cheaper is worse because it happens. A lot of people tend to give blanket statements and I have to wonder if they ever owned or at least worked on both bad ones and good ones. If you ever get a high end ips monitor, you'd never say it was useless or no difference for normal usage.

Va doesn't get as much attention but it does tend to be slower which is fine for 60hz. You could used to say the same with ips years ago but again r&d and now you see ips that are just as fast and even faster than tn. I'd be happy when oled...
You have to be careful of showroom looks as they can jack up brightness and saturation because of the store lighting. Then you bring it home and it looks like crap. Ips does not mean better picture quality. You can find tn better than ips so compare the actual monitors and not panel type. Although va will look better because of contrast. You should stick with 144hz for fast paced games though. 60 to 75 makes little difference.

Seth_11

Commendable
May 11, 2016

Thanks for the info. I think i really need to look at at my tn vs an ips at home. Mabye i can get my hands on one, i know buying a product knowing your going to return it is kind of a bad idea but if it helps me i might do it. As for a va panel i was looking at that samsung va 144hz but looking at reviews people were having problems because va 144hz is so new so that kept me away from it. So would buying a cheap ips just to play around with at home and mabye return it be a bad idea or am i just overthinking the whole thing?

Mojazz

Notable
May 11, 2017
I think you should stick with what you have. Yes, an Ips normally will display a better picture as far as a color gamut is concerned. Better viewing angles come into play also. As far as game play smoothness and video playback and input response, stick with what you have. That mid range monitor of yours has good ratings. Once you get used to using it, you will be a happy camper long term. I think you have more pluses than minuses by sticking with what you have. Rock that 144 MHz monitor dude!!!

Mojazz

Notable
May 11, 2017
All of my monitors are Dell Ultra Sharp ips. I love the picture quality and video play back but I realize that response time and smoothness is not the best in games compared to a high refresh rate tn. However, I chose what was more important to me as I made my decision. Games still look great and play well but I know other monitors perform gaming functions better.

I have seen multiple ips that are worse gamut than tn, so ips is not always better. There is so much overlap with panels since they've been around and developed for cheaper and for the better. You just don't know if cheaper is worse because it happens. A lot of people tend to give blanket statements and I have to wonder if they ever owned or at least worked on both bad ones and good ones. If you ever get a high end ips monitor, you'd never say it was useless or no difference for normal usage.

Va doesn't get as much attention but it does tend to be slower which is fine for 60hz. You could used to say the same with ips years ago but again r&d and now you see ips that are just as fast and even faster than tn. I'd be happy when oled matures and we start seeing that on monitors.

Anyways as I mentioned before, just stick with your 144hz. If you are looking at the same budget range, ips and tn aren't much different anyways. I actually suggest not going with ips for gaming because of the infamous ips glow.

Solution