Question 15 days after using my new ssd 870 evo its health decreasing

870 EVO TBW is 150 for each 250 GB of capacity.

You are writing at the rate of about 5 TB per year. Totally normal.

Not sure I'd get excited by a percentage rating this early in ownership. Maybe get interested if the decline persists over 6 months.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know I would have questioned if mine went down 1% in that amount of time. But you right, I would watch it

Mine is going to last forever based on my usage
qeQqA9K.jpg

Aug 2, 2022

870 EVO TBW is 150 for each 250 GB of capacity.

You are writing at the rate of about 5 TB per year. Totally normal.

Not sure I'd get excited by a percentage rating this early in ownership. Maybe get interested if the decline persists over 6 months.
Since this was my first ssd it suprised me the health is decreasing so fast because it was just 184gb write, it's ok if its normal though

Mine is going to last forever based on my usage
qeQqA9K.jpg

Yeah, those Crystal Disk Info "health status" percentage numbers are a bit mysterious. Don't know the details of the algorithm.

Your TBW on that 970 Evo Plus is 600. You've written 22. "health status" 100%.

My Crucial SSD; TBW 70; written 50; health status 70%.

My Intel SSD; TBW 400; written 9; health status 100%.

Maybe power on hours are taken into account?

Colif

Win 11 Master
My Crucial SSD; TBW 70; written 50; health status 70%.
is the tbw 700, not 70? as the health status might make sense then if it is just 70.
power on is probably a factor, nvme can cheat and turn selves off when not in use. The Power on count difference between my hdd and nvme is 3k more hours on hdd, they were installed same day.

HD Sentinel doesn't just look at one value for health. If you click the ? next to the Health chart on Overview you get an explanation
58VDelw.jpg

Aug 2, 2022
Alright, just to clarify that is normal?
indeed i use 870 Evo 250Gb
Bought it 15 days ago and install os on it and today with 184Gb write the health is decrease to 99% on crystaldiskinfo
on hdd sentinel it was 100% though i was using it right now

is the tbw 700, not 70? as the health status might make sense then if it is just 70.
power on is probably a factor, nvme can cheat and turn selves off when not in use. The Power on count difference between my hdd and nvme is 3k more hours on hdd, they were installed same day.

HD Sentinel doesn't just look at one value for health. If you click the ? next to the Health chart on Overview you get an explanation
58VDelw.jpg

No, TBW on my Crucial is really 70. It's a 7 year old MX100 of only 128 GB capacity......with 45,000 hours powered on. It keeps on choogling with no defects and no capacity issues, so I'm going to continue to ride that horse.

Appreciate the info on HDD/NVMe power on peculiarities. Didn't realize that.

May try HD Sentinel for deeper insight. Not sure I've ever run it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What does its Disk Performance tab look like in HD Sentinel?
F6rxSIZ.jpg

if you worried, you can run tests inside HD Sentinel, though some don't apply to SSD really

7 year ssd... i hope its not boot. needs a nice rest in a field somewhere :)

USAFRet

Titan
You're looking at it wrong.
You've taken a single snapshot in the drives health and lifespan.
And that, only of the first two weeks of life.

At the beginning, you are doing a LOT more writes than what you will in the coming months.

You need to monitor that over time, and see if that health goes down significantly.
Look at it once a week, at most.

Absent some actual fault with your particular drive, I'd expect that Health percentage to be no lower than 98% by the end of 2023.

Aug 2, 2022
You're looking at it wrong.
You've taken a single snapshot in the drives health and lifespan.
And that, only of the first two weeks of life.

At the beginning, you are doing a LOT more writes than what you will in the coming months.

You need to monitor that over time, and see if that health goes down significantly.
Look at it once a week, at most.

Absent some actual fault with your particular drive, I'd expect that Health percentage to be no lower than 98% by the end of 2023.
i look at crystaldisk everytime i boot up my pc until it play a sound yesterday and the health was 99% power on hours was 40 hours, on hd sentinel the health was 100%

Colif

Win 11 Master
But that is true for most C drives and I don't see others agreeing with his health percentage. Unless they like I was on my previous install and only used the ssd for windows and installed almost everything on the hdd, there is going to be a lot of usage upfront.

See how long it takes to get to 98%. That would be best approach I guess.

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
Same thing happened to my 870 250gig boot drive. Went from 100 to 99 in the span of 2ish weeks, it's currently sitting still at 99 for the last 12+ months.

Btw since you mentioned this is your first SSD - if you decide to get another SSD for storage, I would avoid the 500gig, 1tb, 2tb and 4tb 870 models. They are documented as having higher than normal failure rates.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you decide to get another SSD for storage, I would avoid the 500gig, 1tb, 2tb and 4tb 870 models. They are documented as having higher than normal failure rates.

looking at it, there was a bad batch in January but they seem to be better now.

In storage drives, Samsung SSDs show extremely low failure rates in both the shop and in the field, a trend that Puget says has been ongoing for years. Over 1,000 870 EVO and QVO drives were sold during the covered period, with no reported failures. The company notes that it has sold over 35,000 Samsung drives during its entire recorded history, yet fewer than 100 have failed.
https://www.techspot.com/news/92976-puget-reliability-report-shows-samsung-ssds-fail-least.html

Last edited: