15" vs 17" display areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knack

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

My HP Pavilion XF1255 laptop has a nominal size 15" display measuring 12" x
9" = 108 sq in (697 sq cm)

What is the area of a nominal size 17" widescreen display?

"Knack" <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My HP Pavilion XF1255 laptop has a nominal size 15" display measuring
> 12" x
> 9" = 108 sq in (697 sq cm)
>
> What is the area of a nominal size 17" widescreen display?

Normal screens are 5:4:3; widescreen is 18.4:16:9
(diagonal:width:height). The optimum manufactured size for minimum
waste is 15.4 inches diagonal for widescreen LCDs which is shorter/wider
than a standard 15 inch screen. The yield of 15.4 inch widescreens is
eight per sheet compared to six per sheet for 15 inch screens which is
why so many widescreens are being marketed. You can do the math for the
17 inch screen.