News 15 Year Old Passive Cooler Keeps Intel Arc A380 Silent

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Indeed. There have been a few solutions over the years that use the case itself as a giant heatsink. I've always loved that idea, but of course the issue is getting the heat from the parts to the case.

Linus tech tips did a mod on a macbook air, where they removed an insulating foam and replaced it with a thermally conductive pad that "connected" the passive heat sink in the Air to the aluminum case.

Picked up a huge performance boost as the cpu stopped throttling under load, and it doubled as a lap warmer.

Big problem in using the case is not having it get too hot to touch and turning into a burn hazard, so some dispersal of the heat before it gets to the case surface is needed.

Reactions: windreamer

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
I'm looking forward to the arc mobile products landing in some mini pcs along with 12th and 13th gen cpu's. Nice little discrete solution to run a couple of 4k monitors and do some light gaming, with great media encode/decode.

Either a 370m or 550m.

Reactions: cyrusfox

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I have new unused Accelero S1 and even it's Turbo silent fans that clip on it. Anyone with compatible card willing to pay shipping? ;D