Build Advice $150 budget build from scratch?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey everyone, I’m building a PC for a measly $150 USD from scratch as a little project for fun. I’d like some recommendations on parts for it. I’m going off of used parts as well.
I’ve already bought 3 things:
Core i5-750- $10
Gigabyte H57H-AM2 V2.0 motherboard - $28
Nvidia GTX 650 TI - $25
Some things I need:
At least 250gb storage, a 400w+ psu with at least one 6 pin connector, and a case that can at least fit all these components.
Or can you guys just give me ideas of what I should get? Anything specific? I’m planning on hopefully reselling it for around $200.
Thanks!
Edit: looks don’t matter that much, but it has to be clean and not look too ugly.

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: Insane Potatoz

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Cheap 240gb SSD. You can probably get cheaper mechanical drives, but this will make your setup much snappier.

And you will install Linux, don't you?
I might install Linux. I’m trying to market this as like an “entry level gaming PC” so it can play games like LoL, CSGO, Minecraft, fortnite, etc, so maybe I’ll install windows or something since that’s really the best option for gaming. My friend apparently has a USB with fully activated windows that’s unlimited use so I might use that.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I basically have done this recenty, but I have spent 175 on it and have a lot better specs.

1tb HDD $20
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-De...sh=item44552037f9:g:E-gAAOSw-EheTrQ7&LH_BIN=1

PSU? Have fun. I managed to snag a 520w modular seasonic for $27 then get a $10 refund due to missing cables.

Case? Have fun. Shipping will kill anything online. Look locally. I bought a case off of my brother for $10.
Do you think a 500gb 7200rpm HDD would be good? I’ve found and OEM HP workstation 475w psu for under $20... would that work if I get a power adapter for the motherboard?
For the case I’ll definitely look local, but right now I have my eyes set on a $30 rosewill or DIYPC case.

USAFRet

Titan
I might install Linux. I’m trying to market this as like an “entry level gaming PC” so it can play games like LoL, CSGO, Minecraft, fortnite, etc, so maybe I’ll install windows or something since that’s really the best option for gaming. My friend apparently has a USB with fully activated windows that’s unlimited use so I might use that.
No you cannot use that and sell that.
There is no valid "unlimited" windows license.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
No you cannot use that and sell that.
There is no valid "unlimited" windows license.
Ah okay. I don’t remember exactly what he said. It was from like the early days or windows 10 or something. But okay.
I know I probably shouldn’t even ask cause it’s probably a bad idea... but what do you know about those cheap keys on eBay and other sites?

My friend apparently has a USB with fully activated windows that’s unlimited use so I might use that.
Not how windows licenses work. Get a legit one.

but what do you know about those cheap keys on eBay and other sites?
Its hit or miss. Sometimes they can act like they work but sometimes they will stop working after awhile.

Do you think a 500gb 7200rpm HDD would be good?
Yes it will work, but I don't know if you will save enough to make it worth the loss in capacity.

I’ve found and OEM HP workstation 475w psu for under $20... would that work if I get a power adapter for the motherboard?
Those are pretty good. Delta models if I remember. Just make sure you get the correct adapter and you should be good to go.

USAFRet

Titan
Ah okay. I don’t remember exactly what he said. It was from like the early days or windows 10 or something. But okay.
I know I probably shouldn’t even ask cause it’s probably a bad idea... but what do you know about those cheap keys on eBay and other sites?
That is just as bad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...ome-premium-key-typed-invalid-activation.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2942456/seller-scam-g2a.html

At the very cheap end of selling PC as a profit, the Windows OS license is one of the things that kills the concept.
A valid Windows licenses cost ~$100. You must factor that in to your sell price.
And in a $200 system, you lose.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
That is just as bad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...ome-premium-key-typed-invalid-activation.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2942456/seller-scam-g2a.html

At the very cheap end of selling PC as a profit, the Windows OS license is one of the things that kills the concept.
A valid Windows licenses cost ~$100. You must factor that in to your sell price.
And in a $200 system, you lose.
hmmmmmmmm. Okay... Linux it is!

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Not how windows licenses work. Get a legit one.

Its hit or miss. Sometimes they can act like they work but sometimes they will stop working after awhile.

Yes it will work, but I don't know if you will save enough to make it worth the loss in capacity.

Those are pretty good. Delta models if I remember. Just make sure you get the correct adapter and you should be good to go.
Here's the PSU I found, it looks like on the back the screw holes are lined up a little weird. Would I have to drill holes in my case to insert screws correctly?

USAFRet

Titan
For my personal system I bought Windows 10 PRO $14 from SCDkeys.net

Activated in early 2018. Still activated 2 years later.
And last year I bought an inexpensive refurb Asus Transformer. Win 10 Pro. Supposedly a reputable reseller on Newegg.
Exactly 6 months later...Unactivated.

Result - One very very unhappy customer. And unhappy customers WILL tell everyone they know not to buy from that reseller.
Reputation counts.

Well today i tried some ebay keys for a cheap pc.

I bought a $4 (lol) w10 pro key from ebay and who guessed, it didn't work.

I contacted the seller. They responded innunder a minute and i got another key which didnt work.

I Contacted them again and promptly got a 3rd key which worked.

I dunno of it will continue to work, but i hope.

Hit or miss as i see.

Reactions: Insane Potatoz

USAFRet

Titan
Well today i tried some ebay keys for a cheap pc.

I bought a $4 (lol) w10 pro key from ebay and who guessed, it didn't work.

I contacted the seller. They responded innunder a minute and i got another key which didnt work.

I Contacted them again and promptly got a 3rd key which worked.

I dunno of it will continue to work, but i hope.

Hit or miss as i see.
If they need to and can supply you with multiple licenses, it is not valid.
Ya gotta ask yourself...where did these come from? What level of money laundering are you supporting with this?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
If they need to and can supply you with multiple licenses, it is not valid.
Ya gotta ask yourself...where did these come from? What level of money laundering are you supporting with this?
Hey is it possible for like a motherboard to just have Windows on it? I remember I built a super-budget build for my friend. He said he wouldn't mind if inactivated windows was on it, so I installed the inactivated version but there was no watermark and still there isn't one. I bought all the parts used. It is because the hardware had windows 10 on it before?
Also I have a couple old PCs with windows XP on them, could I use their product keys to activate Windows? I've activated my mom's new desktop PC with the key from her old Windows 7 system, but will it work with XP product keys?

USAFRet

Titan
Hey is it possible for like a motherboard to just have Windows on it? I remember I built a super-budget build for my friend. He said he wouldn't mind if inactivated windows was on it, so I installed the inactivated version but there was no watermark and still there isn't one. I bought all the parts used. It is because the hardware had windows 10 on it before?
Also I have a couple old PCs with windows XP on them, could I use their product keys to activate Windows? I've activated my mom's new desktop PC with the key from her old Windows 7 system, but will it work with XP product keys?
Yes, it is possible that motherboard had a Windows license associated with it.

No, you cannot use an XP license to activate a Win 10 install.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Yes, it is possible that motherboard had a Windows license associated with it.

No, you cannot use an XP license to activate a Win 10 install.
Hey, sorry for returning to this thread, but I've changed my plans a bit and am now going for a normal desktop PC to resell for around $125ish. I already have all the parts and I'm planning to install Linux as the OS because it will not be a gaming PC. Basically, I've never worked with Linux. How do I set up Ubuntu on a new PC? I already have the bootable USB, but how would I install drivers? Also, how would I get into Ubuntu to install the drivers and get out like nothing happened? Does that make sense?

USAFRet

Titan
Anyone who is buying a $125 box with Linux on it does not care what you did with the OS. They're not looking for a magical OOBE environment when they power it up.

Just install, and give it a default username and password of admin/admin.
Let the new owner change things as needed.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Anyone who is buying a $125 box with Linux on it does not care what you did with the OS. They're not looking for a magical OOBE environment when they power it up.

Just install, and give it a default username and password of admin/admin.
Let the new owner change things as needed.
Alright. When I install drivers do I just do it as I normally would in windows except select linux instead?