Build Advice $150 budget build from scratch?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey everyone, I’m building a PC for a measly $150 USD from scratch as a little project for fun. I’d like some recommendations on parts for it. I’m going off of used parts as well.
I’ve already bought 3 things:
Core i5-750- $10
Gigabyte H57H-AM2 V2.0 motherboard - $28
Nvidia GTX 650 TI - $25
Some things I need:
At least 250gb storage, a 400w+ psu with at least one 6 pin connector, and a case that can at least fit all these components.
Or can you guys just give me ideas of what I should get? Anything specific? I’m planning on hopefully reselling it for around $200.
Thanks!
Edit: looks don’t matter that much, but it has to be clean and not look too ugly.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
No.
Linux is a whole different animal. There is no "exe" to click on and install.
Many/most things come from whatever repository your distro is talking to.

Just install it, and let the OS figure it out.
Wow okay. Thanks so much! One last question, I installed the Linux USB from my gaming PC (specs below?) and it saved as something like Ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64. Does this mean I can't use it on an Intel system because it saved as an AMD 64 bit?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Drivers for your hardare come from the manufacturer. Generally an exe.
Download and run it.

A base Windows install will have enough to get up and running at the very least.
Well I’m planning to sell these PCs. I want to get in to install drivers and then get out. I want my buyer to be able to create their own account like when you buy a new windows 10 PC. When I tried to do it once I had to use my own email to make an admin account and it was a big mess.

USAFRet

Titan
Well I’m planning to sell these PCs. I want to get in to install drivers and then get out. I want my buyer to be able to create their own account like when you buy a new windows 10 PC. When I tried to do it once I had to use my own email to make an admin account and it was a big mess.
You do NOT have to use your email for the initial admin account.
Do this install with it disconnected from the network. That will allow you to create a Local admin account.
No email needed.

I have been selling a few PC to flip. There is someone that is semi-local that I met on discord and he has been helping me. Here are some tips

His Tips:
  • If you are trying to flip PC, avoid buying really cheap low-end PCs. They just do not offer enough margin to be worth your time. But you can sell a few cheap ones first to get money to sell something more expensive.
  • The majority of your potential buyers will not know the difference between an I7 2600 and 9700. Because of this, many people will pay a lot for older CPUs as long as the name is right. The PC enthusiasts that would know the difference probably won't be interested in your PC since they would build one themselves, or would negotiate you down a lot.
  • Looks matter. RGB doesn't cost a ton and can net you a lot of profit if the PC looks more expensive than it is. Avoid ugly power supply cables.
Here are some tips from me:

• Buy bundles for best pricing
  • Try to sell locally, especially for lower-end PC. Shipping online will kill profit.
  • This may sound odd, but if the system has a graphics card, make SURE to instruct them not to use the motherboard video ports. I got accused of selling a broken PC when someone was using the motherboards VGA instead of the gfx card ports.
    Wifi and BlueTooth is only maybe $15, and it is something many people want.
If you want the buyer to be able to set up the PC but the OS already has the drivers included, you are looking into a custom disk image which is a lot of work.

I suggest you just select "I don't have internet" during install which will allow you to not use a Microsoft account. When prompted to enter a password, don't enter anything and enter. This way your buyer doesn't need a password.

Just for frame of reference.

First flip PC:

i5 3550
RGB chinese cooler
8gb hyperx
dell oem board
1tb hdd
MSI Gaming GTX960
520w Seasonic M12
destroyed case

Bought for $175 sold for $275. I only made $100 since I bought some parts really cheap off of my brother for far less than they were worth. Normally i would have made even less $

Compare this to my latest flip pc:

i7 2600k @4.2ghz
Chinese RGB cooler
16gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz
MSI Z68 board
Zotac 1070 MINI
EVGA GD600w
500gb Samsung 850 SSD
3RGB fan raidmax case.
W10 PRO

Bought for $575, listed for $875, sold for $825. I could have negotiated more if I needed to. Made far more than the other PC.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I have been selling a few PC to flip. There is someone that is semi-local that I met on discord and he has been helping me. Here are some tips

His Tips:
  • If you are trying to flip PC, avoid buying really cheap low-end PCs. They just do not offer enough margin to be worth your time. But you can sell a few cheap ones first to get money to sell something more expensive.
  • The majority of your potential buyers will not know the difference between an I7 2600 and 9700. Because of this, many people will pay a lot for older CPUs as long as the name is right. The PC enthusiasts that would know the difference probably won't be interested in your PC since they would build one themselves, or would negotiate you down a lot.
  • Looks matter. RGB doesn't cost a ton and can net you a lot of profit if the PC looks more expensive than it is. Avoid ugly power supply cables.
Here are some tips from me:

• Buy bundles for best pricing
  • Try to sell locally, especially for lower-end PC. Shipping online will kill profit.
  • This may sound odd, but if the system has a graphics card, make SURE to instruct them not to use the motherboard video ports. I got accused of selling a broken PC when someone was using the motherboards VGA instead of the gfx card ports.
    Wifi and BlueTooth is only maybe $15, and it is something many people want.
If you want the buyer to be able to set up the PC but the OS already has the drivers included, you are looking into a custom disk image which is a lot of work.

I suggest you just select "I don't have internet" during install which will allow you to not use a Microsoft account. When prompted to enter a password, don't enter anything and enter. This way your buyer doesn't need a password.

Just for frame of reference.

First flip PC:

i5 3550
RGB chinese cooler
8gb hyperx
dell oem board
1tb hdd
MSI Gaming GTX960
520w Seasonic M12
destroyed case

Bought for $175 sold for $275. I only made $100 since I bought some parts really cheap off of my brother for far less than they were worth. Normally i would have made even less $

Compare this to my latest flip pc:

i7 2600k @4.2ghz
Chinese RGB cooler
16gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz
MSI Z68 board
Zotac 1070 MINI
EVGA GD600w
500gb Samsung 850 SSD
3RGB fan raidmax case.
W10 PRO

Bought for $575, listed for $875, sold for $825. I could have negotiated more if I needed to. Made far more than the other PC.
Dude thanks for the tips!
Here are my PC flips I’m doing:
#1: starter desktop
I5-750 $10
4gb ddr3 $5
160gb WD blue $5
H57H-AM2 $30
Random gateway case: $30
WiFi adapter $5
Delta 350w power supply $0 came out of old prebuilt
Optical drive, 80mm fan $0
Power cord $2
Ubuntu Linux
Built around internet/normal office use, gonna sell for really cheap

I7-860 $0
Haven’t decided on motherboard yet
Really nice cheap Chinese red cooler $12
8gb Ddr3 $0
GTX 960 4gb $38
DIYPC DIY-BG01 $50?
OCZ Vertex 4 256gb ssd $0
2 blue LED strips $4
Antec 550w 80+ bronze power supply $28
Windows 10
Probably gonna add WiFi and Bluetooth

FX-6100 $0 (gonna label it as 6 core probably)
8gb Ddr3 $0
MSI MS-7596 Ver 1.2 $0
Samsung SATA II 256gb ssd $0
Stock FX cooler $0
Probably gonna use my other Antec 550w $28
R9 270 $33
USB 3.0 to 2.0 adapter $3
DIYPC DIY-S07-BK $38
Probably gonna add WiFi, Bluetooth, and a few white LED strips.
Windows 10
Bought a cheap 5ft power cord for all of these.

All of these are a work in progress. I knew a few of your tips before like looks and “i7” or “six-Core” selling better.
But seriously though, thanks for the tips. I only have 3 PCs and they are so close to being done. I love flipping so much already.

Yea. Its addicting ngl.

just picked up some parts to combine and sell.

Dell OptiPlex SFF with I5 4590 and 8gb ram, and an unknown discrete GPU for a nice $50
ill add 4gb more ddr3 I already have
Then i bought a 600w EVGA white PSU
a nicer looking case
and a 240gb ssd
RX570

I have around $310 into it, and I think I can sell it for at least $100 more. Then ill have an OEM case, PSU, optical drive, and some GPU that I can sell as well.

Right now with the current economic situation, I didn't want to spend $500+ on a PC to resell even though I would make more money that way.

Last edited:

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Yea. Its addicting ngl.

just picked up some parts to combine and sell.

Dell OptiPlex SFF with I5 4590 and 8gb ram, and an unknown discrete GPU for a nice $50
ill add 4gb more ddr3 I already have
Then i bought a 600w EVGA white PSU
a nicer looking case
and a 240gb ssd

I have around $310 into it, and I think I can sell it for at least $100 more. Then ill have an OEM case, PSU, optical drive, and some GPU that I can sell as well.

Right now with the current economic situation, I didn't want to spend $500+ on a PC to resell even though I would make more money that way.
Thats awesome man.
And same with the economic situation thing. The only reason I’m doing the ones I’m doing now isn’t because they were in progress before.