Build Advice $1500-1800 gaming new build help

sonarzero

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
After nearly 9 years use on my last PC you guys recommended, I'm back for another one! Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next few weeks or so, could wait longer like a month or two for a good reason but limping along at the moment
BUDGET RANGE: Around $1500-1800 after rebates/shipping, can probably go a little higher if there's something really great that's more future-proof/long-lasting but would like to keep it under $2000 ideally. If that's overkill on price I'm happy to spend less too :)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, listening to music, websurfing, watching movies/tv

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse
NEED OS: yes
PARTS PREFERENCES: no preference
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, amazon
OVERCLOCKING: probably not unless overclocking is easy to figure out how to do
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no
MONITOR RESOLUTION: currently have super old Apple Cinema Display (20-inch) 1680 x 1050 16:10 aspect, can either use this in new build but probably some advantage to upgrade to better monitor with newer graphics cards?

Current system specs for your entertainment:
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1366 Processor
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Memory
XFX Radeon HD 5870 DirectX 11 HD-587X-ZNFC 1GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Intel 330 Series 240GB SSDSC2CT240A3 main HD
A couple WD HD 1-2 TB for storage and some external for backup
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM
Cooler Master HAF 922 - High Air Flow Mid Tower Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior

Additional Comments:
Case - The HAF 922 has been better for heat due to large fans and more open design compared to my last closed-design case (which I had to run with the side panel off all the time, maybe they are better designed now though). The case a little on the large side and oddly shaped on the sides so something mid-tower but smaller size might be nice. Needs headphone jack and USB's near top front. Don't really care about having a window or internal lighting.

Could use a recommendation for a bluetooth adapter so I can sync to some speakers across the room too

On the OS I remember W7 needed to be Pro version since Home was terrible since it lacked many features regarding networking and permissions, I haven't used W10 so not sure if it's the same way or not.

Why Are You Upgrading:
I've been playing older games and in low-res for awhile, Middle Earth Shadow of War was the first game my computer downright refused to play. I'd like to play some of the newer games like that, maybe newest Tomb Raider, Monster Hunter World, whatever else is out.

I think my graphics card is on the way out too since the fan is starting to click and squeak and I've had the graphics driver and PC crash a few times while playing some games.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($413.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($69.95 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($706.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($102.85 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer - XFA240 bmjdpr 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1846.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-06 10:52 EST-0500

Exceptional setup for your budget.

Included monitor in the budget as well.That monitor supports G-Sync.

RTX2080 will be able to utilize high refresh rate of that monitor in majority of games.

You can run Windows10 Pro initially without activating and activate in future unlike W7 Windows10 will not have limit on time period for activation. But when in future you plan to buy the key remember to buy product key for Windows10 Pro as the one you will be installing is Pro.
Some Windows features will be locked but most of the features(almost all which we need) are unlocked and work fine even without activation.

sonarzero

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks for the build and the tips.

Will a 500GB SSD be large enough for the OS and several games? From what I can tell game install sizes are only getting larger. Would the old 240GB be a better secondary game install place than a regular HD for quicker load times?

I haven't seen a SSD like that, it just slides into one of the ports on the motherboard like the graphics card does?

Would it be worth it to bump the memory up to 32GB or just leave it at 16GB?

Thanks for the build and the tips.

Will a 500GB SSD be large enough for the OS and several games? From what I can tell game install sizes are only getting larger. Would the old 240GB be a better secondary game install place than a regular HD for quicker load times?

I haven't seen a SSD like that, it just slides into one of the ports on the motherboard like the graphics card does?

Would it be worth it to bump the memory up to 32GB or just leave it at 16GB?
For now 500GB will be fine. If you can add more to budget then go for larger SSD than larger RAM. More RAM can be added at any time without effecting the files. If you have more budget for both you can add both larger SSD and 32GB RAM