[SOLVED] < $1500 Build for a father/son project - Advice on my list of components

armyfive

Commendable
Nov 26, 2019
So my son put on his Christmas list that he would really like to build a PC together. Last year we bought him an HP Omen desktop, Logitech G910 keyboard, Logitech G703 mouse and a Logitech G933 headset. Just kept it simple and consistent. The Omen is a PC in good working order that we will leave alone so this will be a new build. I obviously want more performance than the Omen but not break the bank with top of the line hardware. Lastly, my son likes the flashy lights so RGB components are a must. First basic specs of the Omen:

• Intel Core i5-7400
  • 8GB RAM
  • NVidia GeForce 1060 GTX 3GB
  • WD Blue 1TB HD 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s, 64Mb Cache
And now my list:

Does anything seem off? Do the components seem to match up well?

Jeff

Solution
So my son put on his Christmas list that he would really like to build a PC together. Last year we bought him an HP Omen desktop, Logitech G910 keyboard, Logitech G703 mouse and a Logitech G933 headset. Just kept it simple and consistent. The Omen is a PC in good working order that we will leave alone so this will be a new build. I obviously want more performance than the Omen but not break the bank with top of the line hardware. Lastly, my son likes the flashy lights so RGB components are a must. First basic specs of the Omen:

• Intel Core i5-7400
  • 8GB RAM
And now my list:

• Intel Core i5-7400
  • 8GB RAM
And now my list:

Does anything seem off? Do the components seem to match up well?

Jeff
My thoughts,

Everything will work as is however,
  1. PSU great choice but pretty heavy on the wattage. This won’t hurt really but it’s a spot to save some money. If you think you’ll upgrade to a 2080ti/3080ti down the road then sure. As is, 650 watts are plenty.
  2. That AIO, I didn’t even know Rosewill made them. I wouldn’t use it if someone gave it to me for free. CoolerMaster makes some decent budget AIO if that’s your thing.
  3. Nvme m.2 drive, intel 660p is on sale for like $87. It’s a very reliable drive and can’t be beat for the price. It’s not the fastest but for what you wil be doing you’ll never even see the difference. You could use a SSD and not even tell for gaming but the 660p is what I’d go with.

Everything else looks fine.

Solution