1500X Stock Cooler Overclock

Aug 21, 2018
3.75 Ghz with a +0.072 v offset. Load temps spike to 80 then stay at 72 - 74. Voltages are 1.2 - 1.24 v. Should I go higher?

Solution
AMD temperatures are not supposed to be monitored that way, even on Ryzen. AMD thermal sensors are designed for "thermal margin", meaning Distance to TJmax.

Download CoreTemp, install it, open it, click on the Options menu, choose the advanced tab. On the advanced tab check the box next to "Show distance to TJmax in temperature fields". Save and exit options.

With CoreTemp running, you should now be seeing the thermal margin of distance to TJmax in the core temperature fields.

Download and run Prime95 version 26.6. Choose the "Small FFT option". If the thermal margin does not shrink to below 10°C then your temps are fine. If it gets smaller than 10°C then your overclock is too large or your voltage is too high. Lowering overclocked...
AMD temperatures are not supposed to be monitored that way, even on Ryzen. AMD thermal sensors are designed for "thermal margin", meaning Distance to TJmax.

Download CoreTemp, install it, open it, click on the Options menu, choose the advanced tab. On the advanced tab check the box next to "Show distance to TJmax in temperature fields". Save and exit options.

With CoreTemp running, you should now be seeing the thermal margin of distance to TJmax in the core temperature fields.

Download and run Prime95 version 26.6. Choose the "Small FFT option". If the thermal margin does not shrink to below 10°C then your temps are fine. If it gets smaller than 10°C then your overclock is too large or your voltage is too high. Lowering overclocked voltage can cause instability though so be careful with lowering it too much or not raising it enough, and be sure to run Realbench for about 8 hours to verify the overclock is stable.

Prime95 v26.6 is THE primarily accepted way to do the majority of baseline thermal compliance testing running the Small FFT option.

Prime95 Version 26.6 download

For AMD systems, specifically Zen/Ryzen, this should offer similar albeit not nearly as detailed information on that architecture. I would ignore the section on using Ryzen master. Overclocking should ONLY be done via the BIOS/UEFI settings and should be done manually. Automatic features are problematic. Ryzen master is supposed to be good for thermal monitoring, but I have not had time to do any testing with it yet so I can't say for certain if that is accurate or not.

Ryzen overclocking guide

AMD FX and A series overclocking guide

This is probably about the most referred to overclocking guide around, and it's principles can be applied to a variety of generations and platforms.

The Ultimate Overclocking Guide

Solution
Aug 21, 2018

By temperature margin do you mean the box under "Temperature Readings" that says CPU #0?