[SOLVED] 15inch Laptop too big for college?

Jul 20, 2019
I found this laptop that i really like, link below
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/l-series/IdeaPad-L340-15IRH-Gaming/p/88IPL301161
I am going into college later this year and i was wondering if a 15 inch laptop was too big to carry around and etc.

if you could answer that, then that would be amazing.

I also have a second question, the laptop states it is a 15 inch in the title however in the dimensions section it is 14 inches. Which one do i believe?

Solution
The weight of 2.19 kg would be for the laptop itself, while the larger figure might be a shipping weight. If a charger needs to be carried around that would add to the burden slightly, though the better among new laptops have significantly longer battery life than the 3 hours that was standard 5+ years ago; sometimes 10 or more hours on a full charge.

In perspective, translating that weight into "American" for my sake (heh) it's 4.8 lbs, a fairly heavy unit. Of course, being a gaming laptop that's not unusual. Gaming laptops with a powerful dedicated graphics chip need much more cooling, in particular the bigger heatsinks add a fair bit of mass.

If you mean to carry it for a significant portion of the day it would be a bit...
Laptops are marketed in screen size, diagonally. This corresponds to how TVs, monitors and other screens are measured. The actual dimensions (H, W, depth) can be different. Nowadays in particular, bezels (the areas around the visible screen) are being shrunk aggressively as on phones as well. This means a 15" class laptop isn't as wide or long as it used to be. This would make a new 15" easier to carry than an older model.

Refer to the actual dimensions, and particularly weight, as a guide. A lot of higher end ultrabooks are made to be lighter and easier to carry than laptops of old.

Reactions: Gresho
Jul 20, 2019
Laptops are marketed in screen size, diagonally. This corresponds to how TVs, monitors and other screens are measured. The actual dimensions (H, W, depth) can be different. Nowadays in particular, bezels (the areas around the visible screen) are being shrunk aggressively as on phones as well. This means a 15" class laptop isn't as wide or long as it used to be. This would make a new 15" easier to carry than an older model.

Refer to the actual dimensions, and particularly weight, as a guide. A lot of higher end ultrabooks are made to be lighter and easier to carry than laptops of old.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. The dimensions of the Laptop are as follows (WxDxH)

14.3", 10", 0.9"

the weight is 2.19 kg net weight and gross weight 3.32kg (idk what they mean)

would that be good for college?

The weight of 2.19 kg would be for the laptop itself, while the larger figure might be a shipping weight. If a charger needs to be carried around that would add to the burden slightly, though the better among new laptops have significantly longer battery life than the 3 hours that was standard 5+ years ago; sometimes 10 or more hours on a full charge.

In perspective, translating that weight into "American" for my sake (heh) it's 4.8 lbs, a fairly heavy unit. Of course, being a gaming laptop that's not unusual. Gaming laptops with a powerful dedicated graphics chip need much more cooling, in particular the bigger heatsinks add a fair bit of mass.

If you mean to carry it for a significant portion of the day it would be a bit tiring. Regardless of the screen size I'd look for something lighter. This can be tough with gaming laptops (albeit they are far slimmer and lighter than older gaming laptops, which were bricks with enormous power bricks and poor battery life - particularly when gaming). So this can end with a compromise in graphics power, a higher price for a lighter gaming laptop, or some combination.

It may not be in your budget to get two - a gaming laptop and a carry-around school work laptop.

Solution
Jul 20, 2019

If you mean to carry it for a significant portion of the day it would be a bit tiring. Regardless of the screen size I'd look for something lighter. This can be tough with gaming laptops (albeit they are far slimmer and lighter than older gaming laptops, which were bricks with enormous power bricks and poor battery life - particularly when gaming). So this can end with a compromise in graphics power, a higher price for a lighter gaming laptop, or some combination.

It may not be in your budget to get two - a gaming laptop and a carry-around school work laptop.
I will likely carry it in my backpack so it might work out overall. My main concern is the size. I know most people use 13 inch laptops for school, so i think the 15 inch might be too large. Would it be?