Question 16.1GB of my ram is hardware reserved, help?

Oct 18, 2023
I bought 2 sets of 2x8gb of ram and was installing it and noticed that no matter what i do or how i install it, i will always have 16.1gb of hardware reserved space.

I am not a genius what so ever in this field, so any help will help.

I have spent easily 12+ hours in the past two days trying everything i can find online and I have not been able to figure this out.

List of things i have tried:

- Removed all the sticks, removed PSU, removed battery and installed ram one at a time. Only the first stick alone has no hardware reserved space
- I have update BIOS
- I have tried the ram sticks in many different spots
- MS config
- registry editor

I have probably done other things but I don't remember cause I am mentally exhausted now trying to figure this out.

This is a link to the PC i built a few years ago: ( I updated the correct ram i just bought)
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/ndaraujo/saved/cvQ7TW

Running windows 11

Any help would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated!

Oct 18, 2023
i like to watch multiple sports at once, or play a video game and have a stream/sports game on the 2nd screen. I used to always be able to do this no issue. Recently I cant and just noticed my pc cant handle multiple things at once. Decided to jump from 16gb to 32gb of ram, but the 16.1 is reserved.

I used to only have 16gb before. I am not sure if 8.1gb was reserved before, but now when i try to use my old ram sticks, i can only get 7.9 with the rest being reserved. I am not sure if this was the case before as I never checked as I had no issues

kanewolf

Titan
I bought 2 sets of 2x8gb of ram and was installing it and noticed that no matter what i do or how i install it, i will always have 16.1gb of hardware reserved space.

I am not a genius what so ever in this field, so any help will help.

I have spent easily 12+ hours in the past two days trying everything i can find online and I have not been able to figure this out.

List of things i have tried:

- Removed all the sticks, removed PSU, removed battery and installed ram one at a time. Only the first stick alone has no hardware reserved space
- I have update BIOS
- I have tried the ram sticks in many different spots
- MS config
- registry editor

I have probably done other things but I don't remember cause I am mentally exhausted now trying to figure this out.

This is a link to the PC i built a few years ago: ( I updated the correct ram i just bought)
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/ndaraujo/saved/cvQ7TW

Running windows 11

Any help would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated!
Your post is EXACTLY why matched sets of RAM are sold. Your two sets are conflicting with each other. You might be able to manually set the timing and voltage so that the RAM will all play nice. Only tweaking and testing will say for sure.

Oct 18, 2023

kanewolf

Titan
Ahh, okay. Understood

I have tried using only 1 set (2x 8gb) and get 8.1GB hardware reserved. I can never get the full 16gb or close to it.
You have probably lost which two DIMMs were a set. Take out one DIMM and replace with one of the two which ere not installed. Check again. If still not 16GB, swap in the final DIMM. You need to get back to a factory matched set.

TRENDING THREADS