[SOLVED] [16:9, IPS] 1080p280Hz VS 1440p165Hz Esacape From Tarkov

scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018
Hello, I am currently running a 1080p144Hz "27inch" monitor, my reason for upgrading is that I have noticed a few dead pixels in the bottom corner of my screen.
I was thinking its time for an upgrade, I mainly play "Escape From Tarkov", so it's important that I can spot people with eas.
I am convinced after reading a bit that 1080p on a 27inch monitor isn't really optimal, compared to 1440p is on a 27inch.
I also play a lot of OW and Rainbow 6, where I can get ridiculously high framerates, so I want to try 240hz, or in this case, 280hz.

So I am not sure, 1440p165hz or 1080p280Hz.

"I am very sensitive to small changes" - so what monitor would make me notice a huge improvement (In your opinion)

"1440p165hz" - ASUS 27 TUF VG27AQ
"1080p280Hz" - ASUS 27 TUF VG279QM

BTW: I have an RTX 2070.

Solution
Simple. 1440p 165hz with adaptive sync. If you can hit the 165hz the 1440p will be a big improvement with the realestate.

I dare you to notice the difference between 144hz and 280hz, if you can actually hit those frame rates on ultimate. But 1440p you'll immediately love with the extra realestate edpecislly in a fps. No more scrolling to see everything.

Either way make sure you have adaptive sync up and running. And get a good va or ips monitor for good colors and black levels. Framerate isn't everything.

gondo

Distinguished
Simple. 1440p 165hz with adaptive sync. If you can hit the 165hz the 1440p will be a big improvement with the realestate.

I dare you to notice the difference between 144hz and 280hz, if you can actually hit those frame rates on ultimate. But 1440p you'll immediately love with the extra realestate edpecislly in a fps. No more scrolling to see everything.

Either way make sure you have adaptive sync up and running. And get a good va or ips monitor for good colors and black levels. Framerate isn't everything.

Solution

scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018

Yeah, both of the monitors I was thinking about has an IPS panel, and they both have G-sync, but doesn't IPS panels make it harder to see in dark areas?

gondo

Distinguished
Yeah, both of the monitors I was thinking about has an IPS panel, and they both have G-sync, but doesn't IPS panels make it harder to see in dark areas?
I find a lot of games is harder to see in dark areas based on the gamma settings in game. A good IPS monitor won't be any worse than a TN of yesterday. IPS has gorgeous colors compared to TN and the speed/response time of IPS is good enough for gaming now. VA is kind of a compromise to give better blacks, but colors not as good. A good VA can have good color, and a good IPS can have good blacks. There are also bad IPS and VA monitors. Just read the reviews and pick a good monitor.

That 1440p gigabyte was getting rave reviews by Toms Hardware just a week ago.