[SOLVED] 16:9 or ultrawide 21:9

Stankenestor

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
I'm looking to buy a new monitor. 1440p, gsync and ips is what I want in a monitor. I'm currently looking at either the asus PG279Q or perhaps an ultrawide, in that case it would be the predator x34p. I'm not sure though if 21:9 ultrawide is that much better in terms of immersion that it justifies an increase by 500$ if I were to get one. I mainly will use the monitor for gaming and watching videos. The games I play are mostly RPG's, witcher 3 but also older rpgs like Dragon age origins and modded skyrim and fallout 4. Also RTS games like civ. Maybe i will also get into a fps game like bf5.

So my question is, are ultrawides that much better for immersion/ more fun in general for gaming? Honestly I'm just happy with 120 Hz refresh rate, gsync and nice colors/contrast. But with the way people praising ultrawides as super fun to play games on and saying how they can't see themselves ever going back to 16:9 it really makes me wonder.

Solution
It's true about going 21:9 and not wanting to go back to 16:9. I didn't have the best 21:9 out there (29" 2560x1080/75hz/IPS) but I liked it way more then my 24" 1080P/144hz. As far as spending the extra $500 to get one may be a stretch but it comes down to personal choice as far as features you want, I wouldn't spend the extra $200 for Gsync and 75hz is plenty for my types of games so if it were my choice I'd go 34" 2560x1080/75hz/IPS and save about $650 over the 34" 3440x1440P/120/Gsync.
That very much depends on how willing you are to always be resizing things, because nothing is going to natively fit the dimensions of an ultrawide so you are either going to have major black space to either end or will need to redraw windows to the desired width in order to make the best appearance and use of work space.

Personally, I think multiple monitors is a much better way to gain room allowing a native snap to the monitor dimensions and resolution, but as with most things this is probably going to come down to personal preference and what you're willing to do in order to gain those few benefits like having a wider field of play with no bezel lines in the middle.

I think for watching videos or movies it's practically pointless because nothing is going to match that resolution. You won't get "more" movie or video no the screen, just extra black space on the ends.

And not ALL games will benefit from it. For one thing, it's too much to keep track of for some people, preferring precision over extra domain. For another, it is much more demanding on your hardware. Also, not all games will have profiles that are optimized for that resolution and just won't "work" right with it. The number of those is less than it used to be, but I think there are still a fair number of games out there simply not designed to be used with ultrawide monitors.

WildCard999

Titan
It's true about going 21:9 and not wanting to go back to 16:9. I didn't have the best 21:9 out there (29" 2560x1080/75hz/IPS) but I liked it way more then my 24" 1080P/144hz. As far as spending the extra $500 to get one may be a stretch but it comes down to personal choice as far as features you want, I wouldn't spend the extra $200 for Gsync and 75hz is plenty for my types of games so if it were my choice I'd go 34" 2560x1080/75hz/IPS and save about $650 over the 34" 3440x1440P/120/Gsync.

Solution