16 Cities Receiving Gigabit Service Thanks to CenturyLink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vote_Dogbert

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
I'm moving to Las Vegas (woohoo) but I've never had any sort of interaction with centurylink are they any good or are they bastards like comcast?

bobafert

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
In Omaha, I don't hear complaints from people that have them. I would get this service, but as of yet my part of town isn't getting it. So if you don't have a place to live picked out in LV, I would make sure that you ask to make sure any location is within their project area.

Also, I used to work for an engineering firm that designed these "fiber to the home" networks for small rural phone companies. It would take a year just to design and install a network like this in a town of 500. I can't imagine the amount of work needed to get this kind of network up and running in a city of hundreds of thousands. Hopefully they can reuse a bunch of existing conduit so they only have to pull new lines. If they have to directional bore all new conduit for all these lines, the cost will be astounding.

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Minneapolis area here. Almost had a heart attack! I was so excited! But alas, it isn't available in my area yet. Can't even get their 100 Mbps connection. "Stuck" with 40 Mbps.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
OK, 2 companies now I'd rather see in my area than Time Warner.
People are starting to get blazing fast speeds and here I am stuck paying for a 15/1 connection I usually get 2/.5 out of on a good day because I'm "too far away" to get the speeds I'm paying for, yet get threatened to get my speed cut back if I take a lower package.
Yeah, not going to cry once when those SOBs finally go out of business, or when they get bought by Comcast and BOTH go down.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
CenturyLink isn't a bad service. I've had them in the past, and really have nothing bad to say about them. Customer service was always prompt and polite, the price reasonable. It's been a few years since I had them, but I doubt they have changed that any.

fkr

Splendid
century link was good while i had them.

maybe this is why cox doubled my speed for free from 50/5 to 100/10 recently here in phoenix

$75/ month all inclusive

tested while streaming netflix and i get all of that speed and more. 110/11

do not know why i need all of this speed i have 8 or so connected devices but no website loads at these speeds and i would have to streaming on everything simultaniously and still would not hit those speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.