Question 16 GB of ram for the fx 9590

Feb 9, 2023
I was wondering if there is any solution to upgrade my old system with more ram. I'm trying to use as an ark server and would like unlimited building. but I can't find ram anywhere that i'm sure will work. anyone know what would work.

SYSTEM
asrock 970a-g/3.1 am3+ amd 970 sata 6gb/s usb 3.1 atx motherboard
AMD FX9590 black edition
G.SKILL Sniper Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
1000W psu

Feb 9, 2023
I was wondering if there is any solution to upgrade my old system with more ram. I'm trying to use as an ark server and would like unlimited building. but I can't find ram anywhere that i'm sure will work. anyone know what would work.

SYSTEM
asrock 970a-g/3.1 am3+ amd 970 sata 6gb/s usb 3.1 atx motherboard
AMD FX9590 black edition
G.SKILL Sniper Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
1000W psu
I would like to upgrade to 64GB of ram

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
then you would need ddr4, which means different cpu/mainboard

This is incorrect information, the ASRock 970a-g/3.1 supports up to 64GB of ram.

That said, finding ram that would even work, and enough of it, at a reasonable price, is a waste of time and resources. Maybe used on eBay, but the FX-9590 is just about the worst possible choice of CPU for an always on server as I can imagine.

@ZEERKON You're better off financially building something newer, or renting server space online.

Feb 9, 2023
yeah i think my search is dead in it's tracks. there is no affordable ram that will do it. but IG the gme i am trying to use it for only requires like 10 bg under heavy load for that game. thanks guys. I think i'll stick to my 32

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
alright then, which ram modules are at 16GB ddr3 unbuffered non ECC?

mobo QVL doesnt show any 16GB sticks, only 8GB

Just because its not on the QVL doesn't mean it won't work. The QVL is what was tested by the manufacturer only. The spec sheet from ASRock specifically says it supports up to 64GB of ram.

As for such ram being actually available in the marketplace, considering DDR3 in general hasn't been the consumer standard for nearly 10 years, and 16GB DIMMs rare to begin with, unlikely.

Idk, My opinion I think you should just run the server with what you got, give a while and just see where the memory gets to, Might not ever need 64Gb, even for multiple servers, save up if it ever becomes a big server, If that time comes, either find some more ram, or move to a different faster build.

And yeah, because its on the QVL it don't mean it wont work, might have a harder time getting it past Jdec speeds, but for a server I probably wouldn't run XMP for the most stable experience.

Good Luck!