Question 16 gb RAM installed, computer only picking up 8gb

Aug 4, 2021
I have two sticks of corsair RAM both 8gb each. I have a msi z77a g43 motherboard. The RAM is compatible with the motherboard and all of my RAM slots read both of my sticks of RAM individually. When memory is pulled up in task manager, it reads that 2 out of 4 slots are taken up, but only 8 gb ram is available. I just updated my motherboard to the latest version of bios and reinstalled the RAM sticks. Still same thing. PLEASE HELP!!!!

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
I had the same problem but I had 4*2 ddr3 and it didn't pick up as 8. How I fixed it was reinstalling ram one by one. Boot with the 1st ram and then install the second ram after you successfully boot it. (Powered down of course) if that doesn't work try cleaning the golden contacts with an eraser. If you can't and you're uncomfortable to just use q tips and 70 percent alcohol should be fine

I have two sticks of corsair RAM both 8gb each. I have a msi z77a g43 motherboard. The RAM is compatible with the motherboard and all of my RAM slots read both of my sticks of RAM individually. When memory is pulled up in task manager, it reads that 2 out of 4 slots are taken up, but only 8 gb ram is available. I just updated my motherboard to the latest version of bios and reinstalled the RAM sticks. Still same thing. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Were these 2 sticks of ram a kit of 2 sticks or did you just buy 2 sticks of the same ram?